Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifting a Subie

cx20

I was curious as to what is out there in regards to lifting my Outback. Is it common, odd, easy, painful, expensive, cheap?

Also what is the biggest tire I can run at stock height with the stock 16" wheels? Are the wheels 6" wide? I'm not planning on getting anything soon, just curious.

Thanks

Mudrat could lift it for you?

Check these out..............

http://www.scorpionsubaru.com/photos.htm

This is my favorite............

http://www.users.bigpond.com/subaxtreme/index.htm

.........Personal opinion...............

What's the point with out the Dual Range Tranny?

It's not a climber:banghead:

Why don't they sell them to US?

For what it's worth,

Glenn

82 Hatch, ......well it used to be......:temper:

01 Forester, ........fake lift...(fender flares)..... :brow:

I still did plenty of off-roading in my 6" lifted single range turbowagon, you can still get over obstacles like logs/rocks better, better in mud, sand, and fit bigger, better, more aggresive tires. Not all off-roading is climbing. The one argument I have is the huge overhangs that the outbacks have, you'd need a lot of lift to overcome that. To me 6" is what it takes to make the comparatively small overhangs on a ea82 wagon bearable. But basically there are the scorpion lifts from aus. , or you make your own or get someone like mudrat to fab one. He'd have to have an outback/legacy to work from though. There are aggressive tires for 16" rims, what height do your current tires measure?

I have the stock size of 225/60R16 (26.63" OD x 8.86" Wide) and was only looking for a little bit bigger. I think the gap between the tire and the bottom/sides of the fenders is what will limit me. There is not much room maybe 2" at most, so that will limit be to a max OD of probly 30". I was just not sure if there were others areas of concern. I was only think of a mild 1" to 2" of lift. just something to make it non-stock and look a little different.

Thanks for all the info.

the major clearence problem for bigger tires is the rear struts. I'm assuming the tire and strut clearence is the same for outbacks as it is for Foresters. With my stock hieght the biggest tires I could fit were 27.1 inches. Look at the clearence between the top of the rear tire and the strut that overhangs it. with my 27.1" tires I could barely stick my finger between them. After I had mudrat79 lift my forester 2" I gained inch and half in clearence between the top of the tire and the strut. I figure now the biggest tire I can run maybe is 29" but still cant go any wider than 225. If you go wider than 225 the sidewall may rub on the strut. I'm planning on getting 27.7" by 215 tires my next purchase.