Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bellhousing help needed, quick!

What car do i need to get hold of in order to find a side mount bellhousing to fit a ea71?

Is it the 2wd hatch with ea71? Will that bolt on to this top mount engine, or am i hosed? :banghead:

Got a d/r 4spd with bellhousing, but they are two totally different bolt patterns to the case.

I dont think this is a "fat case", but i'm still not sure how to tell the difference. I know it is a JDM engine with "do not adjust valves" stickers on the covers. Its going into ru4x4evers old blue 80 wagon

TIA

-mike

i think, corerct me if i'm wrong anyone, but you need the ea71 out of a 81 brat, they are still gen 1, as all other models are gen2 in 1981. the brat had d/r with side mount starter. ive been trying to find one, but its like looking for a needle in a hay stack! just get an ea81 and the d/r for it, less hassle more common. I am rebuilding an extra ea81 for my 79 brat, thus i can put a d/r 4 speed into it. later on. and good luck!

i think, corerct me if i'm wrong anyone, but you need the ea71 out of a 81 brat, they are still gen 1, as all other models are gen2 in 1981. the brat had d/r with side mount starter. ive been trying to find one, but its like looking for a needle in a hay stack! just get an ea81 and the d/r for it, less hassle more common. I am rebuilding an extra ea81 for my 79 brat, thus i can put a d/r 4 speed into it. later on. and good luck!

Hate to bust your bubble on this one. The '81 GL Brat came with a top mount EA81 and a d/r 4-speed which is why its rare. What you're going to need Mike, is a EA71 fat case bellhousing from a STD hatchback which only came 2wd and had a 4-speed in them.