Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering rack and crossmember 80-84 Wagon

I traded off my turbo crossmember and steering rack and now need to put a manual rack and standard crossmember into the car.

1-Are there any racks that turn less or more lock to lock in these years or are they all the same?

2-Are the 2wd and 4wd crossmembers the same?

3-Tie rods the same?

I believe they are all the same. If you need one, I can get one from a '83 DL 4wd wagon up here. Free of charge, just trying to get rid of the dang thing.

Oh that'd be awesome! Is it bolted to the crossmember still?

I have noticed that the power steering racks are easier to turn even without power.... ratio I'm not sure on. I have lost the belt (or more accurately the ability to run the belt :rolleyes:) on my wagon, and I've found that it still turns easier with 28's than my stock Brat does with 185's. I drove it unpowered for a couple months before repairing the idler pulley bearing. Works great still.

Using the power rack and cross-member also means you *could* add power to it later if you decide that's something you want. Fitment should be the same with either type. Just cap off the power steering line ports on the rack and it should work fine without the power assist. Leave the lines on the bottom of the rack that allow fluid transfer from one side to the other, and keep the rack filled with ATF and it will be just fine without it's pump.

If you can find one, and are into retrofitting, the preliminary measurements I made show the non-power EA82 rack to be the same length as the EA81 rack - the wider track of the EA82 is made up using different tie rods. I noticed once when I drove a non-power EA82 that it almost felt like it had power - it's was VERY easy to turn. I'm not sure what is different - perhaps a different/easier ratio or something. But I liked it I know that.....

GD

Hey Shawn so what are your plans for the turbo traction wagon?

Im putting an EJ22 in it with the 88 RX Ft4wd transmission. Im keeping 3.70 gears for gas mileage and the lo range trans should be nice even if its not the super low.