Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej22 Swap help - no spark

Subarutex

Ok... I'm 95% of the way through this swap, but having a big problem.

I'm not getting spark, except sometimes randomly at the end of cranking, or the very begining. (just enough for a pop)

Now, we've tried a couple different ignitors. We've check for continuity between the ECU and ignitor, and the ignitor and the coilpack and found no errors.

All 3 relays click as we have them configured now... hokily jumpered into working.

Advice?

have you swapped out coilpacks?

verified that the ignition switch and relay are OK?

a lot of people have discovered loose ground wires causing post-EJswap problems....

good luck!

...I have an extra coil pack I could send out Monday....

I have had a simmlar problem on some subaru engine swaps but it may not be your fix

At what point are you getting the power from to run the computer ? or the ignition ? the igniton switch "key" for the starter cuts power to a lot of the car except the ignition to start the car, mostly on the EA series cars so you will get a jolt of power just as you let go of the key and it will try to start , check to see that you have power to your computer when cranking .

Also i cant stress how important GROUND wires are make sure to check that all the grounds are good not just laying on a bolt head , and that the engine has a good body ground strap and the computer is grounded .

i hope this all helps , keep trying diffrent things you will get it ! :banghead:

Someone will have to build and sell wiring kits for the EJ22 beacuse i see this to be a comon swap for the ageing EA engines ,and good used 2.2s are getting cheeper to get with a better power potential then rebuilding a turbo 1.8.

my $0.02

check your yellow power wire at pin 2 into the coil pack when cranking. sounds like maybe you have acc power there so it has power in all positions but crank. thus a little pop when first cranking or right after cranking... this pin should have B+ power. so it has power in all key positions.

if thats not it try checking grounds the ignitor has a common ground with ECU pins a11 and a22. dont just use an ohm meter. do a voltage drop across the ground, find out how good of a ground you have.

hope this helps... if it dosnt let me know and ill look at the schmatics when i have more time.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

I'm pretty sure I've already verified the coil is getting B+ not ign+. I'll try running a wire straight from the battery to the coilpack to see if that differs.

I am certain that all the power wires go to a switched power, but one that doesn't cut out when starting.

The coil does get power from the B+, we tested the voltage in both stages and it gets just under 12 volts in acc. and about 10v when cranking.

however when trying to test the Crank angle sensor according to the service manual we could not get any signal at all. although i'm not certain if the multimeter was sensitive enough to give the reading correctly.

this maybe a far out idea but i had a EA82 mpfi engine do the samething (random spark only when letting off the key or on ) it was the noise condencer for the coil was wired on the wron side causeing a short to the coil but not enuff to fry the wires , maybe you have a short or a power wire going to ground in your coil wiring ?

Use the ohm setting to check if any of the power wires ground out to the body ,

Just throwing out ideas ? :drunk:

The coil does get power from the B+, we tested the voltage in both stages and it gets just under 12 volts in acc. and about 10v when cranking.

however when trying to test the Crank angle sensor according to the service manual we could not get any signal at all. although i'm not certain if the multimeter was sensitive enough to give the reading correctly.

Get off our message board!

Damn bmw drivers, go back to Bellevue!

You need an oscilliscope to test/verify the crank & cam sensors are working properly. It sounds like you've tested some of the wiring. Verify all the wiring has good continuity from the sensors to the ECU, and back to the ignitor & coil pack.

There's really not much more then this for the ignition. The ECU does all the rest. Have you done the rest a spark plug on the block to verify you're not getting spark? Or used the appropriate tester?

Syphon is my best friend... and TheXfiend is my roomate. He was just joking around with him.

We've done the spark plug against the engine test for spark on all 4 cylinders.

I acquired another coil pack to try tonight when i get home.

All the sensor wires have continuity back to the ECU.

My plan of attack: Replace coil pack see if there are changes. Go to PAP and get some new sensors and try those.

when i did my swap, i found out that i was not getting power all the time to the fuel pump relay which in turn powers the ignition relay.....actually i think back now and it was losing the ground circuit after a few seconds...make sure you check battery power and ignition power to the relays and then verify that you aren't losing your ground..that's all i can think of.

when i did my swap i didnt bother with any of the ign relay or fuel pump relay crap. its just more wires that you dont need....after all, you already have a fuel and ign relay on your car......

anyway, this happened to me when i first tried to strart my EJ22 swap....did the same thing, plenty of fuel but no spark, but sometimes it sounded like it really wanted to turn over. the problem was i had the ignitor plugs all messed up. i had the ifgnitor turned around backwards, so instead of firing cyl. #1 i ws trying to fire cyl. #4, which didnt work. maybe your cam or crank angle sensors are bad. but this sounds just like what happened to me, so i figured i'd through it out there.

~Josh~