Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ in brat...

Uberoo

ok the motor in my brat is blown so Im thinking of dropping in an EJ22.I know theres wiring work involved(scary,time consuming)not to mention an adpater to fit the EJXX motor to EA trans.Heres my question.How much power can the 4 sp D/r hold up to?if I drop in EJ motor can I go with performance exhaust,intake,etc.Or keep the motor stock?thanks in advance.

I would keep the EJ motor stock, the 4 speed can maybe handle as much power as the 5 speed D/R, but when you put 140 ft. lbs of torque in front of it you are walking a fine line between power to the ground....and shredded tranny bits. be especially careful while shifting quickly, and please dont dump the clutch in a futile attempt to have your tires spin. you wont need to try........trust me. it actually is kind of annoying, in the wet in FWD you have to try NOT to burn out, and forget going anywhere quickly from a stop in the wet. with the stock tires i could spin all the way through 3rd gear no problem, without any fansy clutch/launch techniques.

~Josh~

Like ballitch was saying, plenty of wheel spin is associated with a 3.90 d/r and the EJ22, I've blown a few front diffs by running too hard in fwd, with both my ea82T, and my EJ22 mated to 3.90 5spd D/R's the trick is to run in 4wd when your pouring the coal to er' then all you bust is axles and drivelines(ha ha), especially in slippery situations like wet pavement...

Archmetis(*sp) has an er27 mated to the 4spd d/r in a hatch, and I believe 88hatchmonster has the ej22 mated to the 4spd d/r as well, wouldn't be worried about too much power(stay with the 1800 if you are), just a lack of fifth gear, oh and the 5spd d/r has a lower first gear than all 4spd d/r's except those made in '80 and '81.

so then its not an issue with 4 speed D/r? Saves me 50 bucks for a new tranny,not to mention time at pull and save.The brat will be an offroad playtoy..

so if I have to drive it on the street put it in 4hi in the rain.

just tring to find the most reliable setup.axles I can replace,blown trannies suck,just like blown engines.