Ultimate Subaru Message Board

have money to spend what should i buy

im thinking about upgrading my shifter b/s...linkage and bushings possibly short shifter..whatever you think i'll need, i drove my friends cougar the otherday and then once i got back in my car it felt like i was in a truck that doesnt have synchro's

also...anyone have any probs when u shift to 3rd? for me it feels like it bites before it engages...kinda makes my driving experience miserable...that and my shifter feels sticky

im thinking about upgrading my shifter b/s...linkage and bushings possibly short shifter..whatever you think i'll need, i drove my friends cougar the otherday and then once i got back in my car it felt like i was in a truck that doesnt have synchro's

also...anyone have any probs when u shift to 3rd? for me it feels like it bites before it engages...kinda makes my driving experience miserable...that and my shifter feels sticky

Depending upon the mileage on the car 2-3 can be wear. you may want to replace all the bushings in the shifter, as that may help alot. Also a gear oil change.

You have to remeber you got alot of years on the cars, things are going to feel different from other cars.

Japanese trannies to be a bit notchy, especially on non performance cars. Subarus have always been notchy.

nipper

nipper

notchy i know.....we have two imprezas and both are the same....but i figured i'd try eliminate the 3rd gear grind....the car has 196,000 miles

and where would i go to buying these parts?

thanks

Gear oil change and learn how to double clutch. This is plain ol wear and tear and may not be much you can do. The synchro is worn and tired.

nipper

related to your other question. I put on a short shifter and i love it. It makes the driving experience a little more fun. nothing else though. it seems to work equally as well as the original shifter did just faster. I got mine for $11 on ebay. it is all stainless steel. If you decide to do it PM me and i will give you a couple install hints that i had to learn the hard way.

Gear oil change and learn how to double clutch. This is plain ol wear and tear and may not be much you can do. The synchro is worn and tired.

nipper

i have started to double clutch...i felt stupid doing that since the car does have synchros...i guess fast and the furious style is the way to go

i have started to double clutch...i felt stupid doing that since the car does have synchros...i guess fast and the furious style is the way to go

Actually double clutching is becoming a lost art. Learn how to double clutch and there isn't a thing you cant drive. It's handy whem armageden comes, your the only one left, and thay out of town is a 1971 deisel school bus or a 153 john deere farm tractor :)

nipper

notchy i know.....we have two imprezas and both are the same....but i figured i'd try eliminate the 3rd gear grind....the car has 196,000 miles

and where would i go to buying these parts?

thanks

Lots of aftermarket tuner shops have upgrades for the shifter. Kartboy seems to have good value and a good reputation. The deal with the lube is you WANT a little friction to spin up the synchros I think. It may take a coupla tries to find a lube that works well for you but Redline gets mentioned a lot.

take a look at http://www.subarureview.com for shifter ratings and stuff.

Carl

Lots of aftermarket tuner shops have upgrades for the shifter. Kartboy seems to have good value and a good reputation. The deal with the lube is you WANT a little friction to spin up the synchros I think. It may take a coupla tries to find a lube that works well for you but Redline gets mentioned a lot.

take a look at www.subarureview.com for shifter ratings and stuff.

Carl

heheh i invision a better faster shifter making things worse on the 2-3 shift, you can always skip 3rd.

nipper

heheh i invision a better faster shifter making things worse on the 2-3 shift, you can always skip 3rd.

nipper

what if u have a better faster shifter..but still shift normally..it'll just be more clean? haha im not sure...all i know is the bite noise is driving me nuts....and so is watching my shifter bounce back and fourth when i let off the gas and give it gas while in gear..

i was looking at kartboy and it doesnt say if they have a shifter for a 96...i think it does say 97 so same thing?

what if u have a better faster shifter..but still shift normally..it'll just be more clean? haha im not sure...all i know is the bite noise is driving me nuts....and so is watching my shifter bounce back and fourth when i let off the gas and give it gas while in gear..

i was looking at kartboy and it doesnt say if they have a shifter for a 96...i think it does say 97 so same thing?

Actually thats more a bushing issue. Dont knock that bouncingm, thats what makes the sooby shifter a nice notchy shift as opposed to american cars which are like moving a stick in mud.

nipper

Actually thats more a bushing issue. Dont knock that bouncingm, thats what makes the sooby shifter a nice notchy shift as opposed to american cars which are like moving a stick in mud.

nipper

yeah well those better shifters usually come with better bushings....haha tell ya the truth i dont even really care all that much.....the car was 800 bucks and i whip around with it as if it was a rally car....i just cant help but wanting to improve everything....i get too anal with things...if only i had a garage and more mechanical skills....

EDIT: you need to go to bed brother...get some rest for the next long day of questions tomorrow ha

yeah well those better shifters usually come with better bushings....haha tell ya the truth i dont even really care all that much.....the car was 800 bucks and i whip around with it as if it was a rally car....i just cant help but wanting to improve everything....i get too anal with things...if only i had a garage and more mechanical skills....

EDIT: you need to go to bed brother...get some rest for the next long day of questions tomorrow ha

awww you do care :banana: i go to bed at 2 when the painmeds kick in ill be up at 9

nipper