Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$70 ticket for passenger in BRAT jump seats

I don't think they could EVER make brat jump seats illegal. That would be like making 360's illegal to drive around because they are two-stroke. There's factory seat belts back there.. so it only gets illegal as "no seatbelt" violation. They always have been and always will be legal passenger seating, no matter how much he rubs it in at court :banana:

As long as the vehicle met the US DOT requirements when it was imported your good.

If the seats were added to the later Brats after it was imported, that would be a potential problem.

But this Brat is a 1981, it should be good no matter what.

I don't think they could EVER make brat jump seats illegal.

Well,they kind of did.At least in many states I know the last years of the Brat you couldn't get the jumpseats.That doesn't make all Brats illegal,just those last couple of years,if you installed them on your own.

Nice reply,Mary.:headbang:

Another perspective:

I've seen in some states BRATs are registered as commercial trucks, in others they are registered as passenger cars. Still others register them as "Non-Commercial" trucks.

Your mileage may vary:cool: .

My 2 bucks

thats hella messed up

another good thing to point out would be that if these seats were illegal, why would subaru have put them stock in all the brats for 16 YEARS!!!:eek:

sry i couldnt be of more help

good luck:headbang:

Another perspective:

I've seen in some states BRATs are registered as commercial trucks, in others they are registered as passenger cars. Still others register them as "Non-Commercial" trucks.

Your mileage may vary:cool: .

My 2 bucks

I'm assuming that it is how it was imported. Post 86s no seats so PA slapped me with a truck tag and reg fee but if it is 85 or older it gets a car tag just like an SUV does.

• 4 years later...

...first introduced as a 1978 model... Production continued into 1993 but ceased to be imported to North America in 1987. It was also known as the Brumby in Australia and the Shifter in the UK. Imports to Europe, Australia, and New Zealand continued until February 1994. The BRAT was not sold in Japan and was manufactured for export markets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_BRAT

78-93 is 16 years. If you count '94 then it was 17 years.