Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ATTN PDX: anyone have a clutch alignment tool?

My engine is hanging on the cherry picker and can't go back in until I find one. I need the one for the EA81 clutch.

I have tried everywhere and the only place who has one in stock is NAPA, and you gotta buy the whole clutch kit:mad:

I don't believe you can just install the pressure plate hand tight and tighten the bolts through the starter hole due to the smaller clutch size. before I separated teh engine I tried and coulden't fit a socket in there, I might be wrong though.

So if anyone local has one I would be much obliged if I could borrow it for ten minutes.

thanks

Yeah - I sugested that too.... can't hurt to try if it's on a picker right? Only if you can write off the time investement if you can't get it to work I suppose..... :rolleyes:

The splines are slightly beveled near the end, and I think it should work - the springs in the disc should afford it a small amount of play doing it this way....

GD

Probably been said already, but...

My brother is my clutch aligning tool. (no, his not a tool. but he does a good job at being one.)

He uses a screw driver, and his eye. His done it 3 times for my EA81 and it always went straight on no probs. I have tried it a few times, but only got it right after the third try.

So anyhow, doing it by eye is completely possible. It does help if you have a engine hoist and engine leveler for it too.

You really should give me a + board rating for that :rolleyes:. I told ya Baxter's had a whole shelf of em..... :headbang:

Man I love me sometimes :-p

GD

actually they had only one, hanging on a hook, and they were the only baxter that had em. The two others I called didn't.

but screw it, +1 anyway ;)

Neato!

I meant a whole shelf of "alignment tools" - not specifically subaru. I remembered seeing them at the Baxter on 99 out my way. I just noticed it was cool they carried the tools without buying the whole kit.... so I figured they could probably get one in if they didn't stock our specific size.

I should still make the "high quality" alignment tool tho eh? Would be a neat conversation peice. hehe.

GD

you should...

of course you will probably never use it, only the small 200mm clutches that you can't get through the starter hole.

maybe you could wear it on a chain, blinging.

for everyone saying "wtf is he talking about?" GD had the idea of taking an old pilot shaft off a blown tranny, boom, instant "heavy duty':rolleyes: metal clutch alingment tool.

you should...

of course you will probably never use it, only the small 200mm clutches that you can't get through the starter hole.

maybe you could wear it on a chain, blinging.

for everyone saying "wtf is he talking about?" GD had the idea of taking an old pilot shaft off a blown tranny, boom, instant "heavy duty':rolleyes: metal clutch alingment tool.

I have one of those from a gen 1 tranny. I think its at my parent's house in Oregon though...