Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Umm,interesting...

ok on a whim I charged the battery on my brat.I then proceded to attempt to give it an itailian tune up.after about 30 seconds cranking it fired.It didnt have a whole bunch of power.so I preceded to floor it.took about a minute of it sputtering and what not before it would rev past 2K.it finaly reved so I took it for a drive,it almost stranded me a block away from my house,but I was able to turn around and give her hell to get back home.After I got it home,and when it start its idle went from lumpy,sputtery,choking,etc to almost the way a nice motor should run.oddly enough when it was idling smooth it wouldnt rev past 4K.seemed like it took all of the engine power to even keep it running at 4k.Also the smoke was pretty good.If I floored it with the hood closed pretty soon it would die becuase of all the smoke.I will look at it tommarow but I believe the smoke is blue/blueish white.So that means oil burning.

Note: last time I posted of the motor's condition I said it sounded like a bag of hammers were thrown in the engine.it doesnt sound that way anymore.It sounds like a subi engine.Just dies for no apparent reason,smokes,and wont rev.

I wonder if this motor is savable?Without major sugerury.

interesting in the fact romping on the throttle is/was making the motor run marginally better

Bad news I guess.after it warmed up it would idle at 2K.I looked at the coolant and it was empty so I started filling the Rad.Immeditatly the RPM climbed to 4k after putting water in.I pulled the airbox lid and what do I see?WHITE FOAM/Froth. oh no.

as a bit of good news most of the oil that was burning was burning off the CAT.Probally because the oil in the motor didnt resemble oil.

Is there going to be an lingering effects of the foam in the coolant or will that clear out after I flush it a couple of times?I have a crate of 10-30 that was made when a dodge dakota came out(shows a pic of a 1st gen dakota...)I got it for free.

I had to do head gaskets on my ea81 also.It had crap in the anti freeze and the oil.Should come out clean when you change it.Make sure you run seafoam through the oil when you get done with your headgaskets before you change the oil.That will help it come out squeeky clean!:)