Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WRX Wagon w/ AUTO trans Qs

Hello All.

Need some feedback on the WRX with automatic - sounds blasphemous, but I have an SVT w/5 speed, and I am TIRED of the city commute driving/shifting. SOOooo, I want an auto trans, and I want the wagon for usability.

1. How's the power in the hills - does the trans hunt back and forth betweens gears?

2. How's the back seat for passengers on long trips?

3. How's the Sube stereo w/subwoofer - good enough or pass and get aftermarket?

4. Add a trans cooler (every auto trans could benefit I'm sure)?

thanks, PK

Something else to consider... the 2.5 TS or OBS. Some people have commented that they like the 2.5 N/A paired with the auto better than the turbo 2.0, but many folks have no problem with the WRX in auto.

We have an auto TS, and it's just fine for mountain driving. The back seat is small but comfortable, better than many small cars, but tighter than midsize or large cars. We have added fog lights and WRX wheels for a grand total of $350. No hood scoop or spoiler though.

Sorry I can't answer your second two questions... we have the OEM head unit and aftermarket speakers... this setup is OK but not great. Most people say the sub is a little better than nothing, but not enough if you're into powerful low end.

Trans cooler? Don't know much about that. Are you towing with the car?

Steve

I don't think I will EVER get tired of driving a MT everyday, but anyway... I have heard numerous reports that the EJ20T and 4EAT are so wrong for each other, nothing but gear-hunting and long periods of off-boost situations... Otherwise, yes I'm sure it could benefit from a tranny cooler...

when my dad test frove a auto wagon, only wrx the dealer had left,(when the WRX was newer) The trannie had to much lag you would floor it, then wait for the down shift, then the boost the car felt alot slower and and it was never ready for a quick pass, it would be probley 2 secs before you could get some power in a lower gear.

Latter My dad test drove a manule WRX and it felt alot faster, seemed to have half the lag of the auto, and if you floored it you would just wait for boost, not the trannie to shift then boost.