Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new to the soobs

Hey all, looking for a change from Zuks and the late 70's/early 80's wagon model looks like a good place to start. Been reading and searching here for the last few hours..

Dual range came in the GL, not the DL?

does GL/DL apply to the hatchback too?

dual range became available in 1980?

lift kits can be homebuilt fairly easily?

ea81/ ea82 81 is the carbed model, 82 in FI?

Basically I am bored with the Zuks, would like to build a wagon for running in sand on beach down here. I need lo range, really to run a 27" tall tire at the least. Lots of deep ruts cut by other 4x4's, the stock 205/70/15's on a stock zuk do OK with carefull driving.

Hope thats not too many ?s at first, the lifted wagons look cool......

thx

Hey all, looking for a change from Zuks and the late 70's/early 80's wagon model looks like a good place to start. Been reading and searching here for the last few hours..

Dual range came in the GL, not the DL?

does GL/DL apply to the hatchback too?

dual range became available in 1980?

lift kits can be homebuilt fairly easily?

ea81/ ea82 81 is the carbed model, 82 in FI?

Basically I am bored with the Zuks, would like to build a wagon for running in sand on beach down here. I need lo range, really to run a 27" tall tire at the least. Lots of deep ruts cut by other 4x4's, the stock 205/70/15's on a stock zuk do OK with carefull driving.

Hope thats not too many ?s at first, the lifted wagons look cool......

thx

i can answer some of these

Gl and Dl are trim packages.

Lift kits, if you can weld good, they arnt that hard to make.

Ea81 is a Overhead valve motor, it came with 82-up brats, 80-84 wagons, and 80-up hatchs

Ea82 is SOHC and came in +85 wagons. It came with a hitachi carb, SPFI, or MPFI

If you are going to lift a wagon, i would suggest getting a ea81 wagon(80-84) with a dual range 4wd. Get a 4" lift from one of the few suppliers[Ozified, SJR, Allied Armament(not sure, check the group buy thread)]. Then you could run some 27" tires easily. Gearing would be ok. I wouldnt suggest going over 29" tires without a divorced T case, although some people have. At least my car does pretty well in ruts, the clearance under the diffs/skidplate is very nice. Its the body clearance that hurts us. Gotta love lifted soob look :headbang:

Ok

The EA81 is a 1.8lt flat four engine, it has pushrods (no timing belt) most were carburettored, except a few models in 84 got a mpfi turbo version.

This engine was the powerplant of sedans, wagons and hatchbacks between 79 and 84, and coupes and utility (brat or brumby) up to the 90's

The EA82 was also a 1.8tl flat four and was made between 85-94 and powered sedans, wagons and coupes, it came in 4 main varieties,

Carburettored, SPFI, MPFI and MPFI turbo. This motor has timing belts.

Manual transmission combinatios were as follows in 4sp and 5sp- 2wd, 4wd, dual range 4wd, in 5sp only- full time 4wd and full time 4wd dual range.

Auto transmission,- 3sp auto, 4sp auto and 4sp electronic auto. These had 2wd or 4wd varieties

Hope this helps

Thanks for the help, I gotta learn this new lingo on Soobs. Do they ride decent when lifted? What about ATV rims and tires? Just saw a pic of one in the gallery with ATV tires.....ohh the ideas are flowing.Get an automatic 4wd and make it a trailbuggy for the wife. Dont see any lifted soobs down here, they seem pretty cheap in price too.

About 7 yrs ago I bought a 87 zuk with a blown motor, just was gonna rebuild it and m,ake a beach runner out if it. 2yrs later it was sittin on 35''s, 4:16- tcase, 5:12's lockers both ends, poersteering, full exo cage, race seats etc..........

ok, u definatly want a 5spd or 4 sp, auto would down right suck. Atv tires would work, if you lighten youre soob a lot, and get custom wheels made like summer. as far as the ride goes, not to bad. I run bias super swampers, ride like a bat out of bell :headbang: The all terrains i have ride well. Hope that helps

o ya most people including myself say the ea81(pushrod) motor is a better motor

ya, i'll second the motion that the automatic trans is a snowjob.... its a functional little gearbox, but man.... its a three speed, and these cars dont even have 3 digits of horsepower!! its not worth playing with

:lol: especially when u start putting bigger tires on them:eek:

Was thinking of a building a small rail type rig and pulling the drivetrain out of a soob with the auto tranny 4wd setup running the atv tires. Auto would be good for the wife with her bad ankle. But first I am gonna find a wagon/std and play with it some before I bail off into that project. Sometimes my ideas overload my spare time:eek: ,

This flat four cylinder ought to be interesting, never have messed with one.

Just cos there might be some confusing here.

79 - 84 Wagons = EA81 - came in DL (single head lights) or GL (Dual head lights)

79 - 89 Hatchback = EA81 (85 to 89 had hydrolic lifters) - Standard (round lights) or DL or GL

82 - 87 Brat = EA81 (again, 85 to 87 should be hyrdo lifters) - DL or GL, also optioned with "T-Tops"

82 - 94 Brumby = EA81 (same as above, Australian and some other countries called thmem Brumbies, not Brats)

81 - 84 Coupe = EA81 - DL or GL

85 - 89 Wagon = EA82 (came in Carbed or SPFI) DL or GL, but the lights were the same on both, dunno what makes it a DL or GL

86 - 89 Wagon GL-10 = EA82 MPFI with or without Turbo (EA82t)

86 - 89 Coupe = EA82 same as above

90 - 94 Loyal = EA82 (looked the same as the 85+ wagons, only with different name)

I am pretty sure I am right on this info.

There are so many more models and features... But... That's too much for one thread.

Dual range was available (option?) in just about all these models.

It's easy to find out if it's dual range. Just drive it and play with the 4WD lever. All the way down should be 2WD HI, on up should be 4WD HI, then a nutral, then the top which is 4WD LO.

Lift kits for EA81 model cars are easier to do then EA82 style. I would recommend a EA81 as the best to offroad. They are easier to work on (and face it, if your beating it around a trail, your gonna break it!) The Hatchback has the best setup out of all the subies for best offroader. It has a shorter back then the wagon or Brat, and it looks so cool! Also think it's lighter.

Anyhow, Welcome, and good luck with getting a subie.