Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone in the Cleveland area?

I can't be the only Subaru driver around here that uses this board. I'd be interested in chatting with other local subaru drivers to see where they get their cars fixed, who they buy from (two dealers here make me shudder with fear) because I am contemplating either a Baja or Impreza in the next year and really don't like the b.s. and hassles I've gotten in the past.

• 1 month later...

HAHA I know exactly who you're talking about. My roommate leased a 97 Legacy GT from them and it was plagued with problems. Luckily SoA helped her there and we had the stuff fixed up at Ganley without hassle and minimal cost.

If you're near Parma, I highly recommend the Procare on Ridge and Ridgewood (diagonal from Parmatown Mall strip and across the street from Society Bank, right next to -oddly- BP) I found that Procare to be capable, honest (alarmingly so sometimes) and fair with their prices. (compared to dealer prices, nothing will be as 'fair' as the skill and know-how and tools to diy)

As for personal experience, I would totally avoid the dealer in Brunswick -they tried to make me pay for alternator repairs even tho it was under recall, that was a big fiasco and I had to get SoA involved to resolve it. After that, they outright told me they would appreciate it if I took my future repairs elsewhere. I swear, I didn't make a scene, I just didn't find it right or fair that they wanted to charge me $380+ for an alternator that was recalled and their reasoning was the warranty had expired and the recall was void.

With customer treatment, I've found the Ganley on Detroit in Lakewood to be pretty good but horribly pricy on repairs. I don't know anything about purchasing from them, however. But when I get online info, I'm always directed to their dealership. They get good customer service ratings from 3rd party reviewers and whatnot so I would presume they are the better choice around this area for buying a Subaru.

hope that helps. feel free to PM or IM me (my AIM ID is the same as here)

Takami-

Thanks for the info. I just traded my '93 Legacy for an '01 Outback and wat to get it checked out at a dealer- I'm going to try Ganley up in Wickliffe (closer than Lakewood for me) so I'll let you know what kind of vibe I get from them. I won't be spending any more of my hard-earned cash in Warrensville...

I believe there are a number of Procare shops out here on the East side, so I may check them out. I've had mixed experiences at Conrads depending on which way the wind was blowing that day, but positive for the most part.

Hopefully all will check out OK with the dealer and I won't need to worry about any repairs for a while. I try to do most of the maintenance-level stuff myself as time and weather allow.

Takami-

If you're still watching this thread; first you'll notice I changed my username- since I traded the 93L it didn't make sense any more so I picked something generic...

Anyway- I got the Outback checked out at Ganley East, and it was a night-and-day difference from my experiences at the aforementioned OTHER dealer. First thing I noticed was that there was actually a substantial inventory of Subarus on the lot. This is a standalone dealership; not splitting time between Subaru and VW.

The service desk has a board with prices for common work (no mystery quotes) and the manager was very helpful- he found an open recall on the computer before I could even ask about it. They did a thorough inspection for $19.95 and took care of the recall work. I ended up with a report of service that would be due soon with quotes- very professional all around.

Just for kicks I asked for a price on a spoiler and it wasn't that much more than a quote I got from one of the online suppliers- the other dealer quoted me double the price.

So all in all, I got a good first impression from these guys- if their place in Lakewood is up to the same standards I'd recommend them when dealer service is required.