Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help-Bought a Code Reader-Pulled a Few Codes to Fix

just got a code reader. very easy to use and now i want to get rid of the check engine light. the car is a 96 legacy brighton wagon 2.2 litre with an auto tranny.

i'm looking for some help interpreting what the codes mean and how to effect a fix to get rid of them.

the codes generic codes were:

P0111- intake air temperature circuit range/performance problem

P0122- throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A circuit low input

P0133- O2 sensor circuit slow response(bank 1 sensor 1)

P0511- nothing in my code book for this one!

P0522- engine oil pressure sensor/switch circuit low voltage

P0533- a/c refrigerent pressure sensor circuit high input

so, the only thing that i am thinking is that an o2 sensor may be faulty, the oil pressure sensor may need replacement and i know the a/c needs to be charged. i don't know anything about a throttle/ppedal position sensor is.

any help will be appreciated as i'm tired of looking at the check engine light.

regards,

mark

Personally, before I tackled anything on that list, I would clean, disconnect/reconnect and generally tighten up ALL the grounds and connectors I could easily reach. Clear the codes. Then deal with the ones that came back. I'd be surprised if more than one or 2 of those actually indicate a bad part. Not impossible, just unlikely. Yet almost all of them could be thrown if the general electrical system is poor.

Carl

done! i did clean up a lot of connectors. this did cure some runability issues that i had.

i cleared the codes and they all came back.

i'm looking at my hanes manual to see about some tests.

still interested in the experiences and opinions of others.

regards,

mark

wow!

I don't recall how many miles were on your car but the front O2 could easily be shot. Just go through them 1 or 2 at a time, be sure to reset the ECU after any repair/sensor change, and confirm it does NOT come back.

Might be a good idea to just try one cheap/easy one first. Also, double check the alt. and battery.

good luck

Carl

just got a code reader. very easy to use and now i want to get rid of the check engine light. the car is a 96 legacy brighton wagon 2.2 litre with an auto tranny.

i'm looking for some help interpreting what the codes mean and how to effect a fix to get rid of them.

the codes generic codes were:

P0111- intake air temperature circuit range/performance problem

P0122- throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A circuit low input

P0133- O2 sensor circuit slow response(bank 1 sensor 1)

P0511- nothing in my code book for this one!

P0522- engine oil pressure sensor/switch circuit low voltage

P0533- a/c refrigerent pressure sensor circuit high input

so, the only thing that i am thinking is that an o2 sensor may be faulty, the oil pressure sensor may need replacement and i know the a/c needs to be charged. i don't know anything about a throttle/ppedal position sensor is.

any help will be appreciated as i'm tired of looking at the check engine light.

regards,

mark

How many miles on this thing, and i dont recall the puter reading the oil pressure switch?

How is your charging circuit voltage?

Im suspecting a supply voltage probelm as there are some really odd ball codes on there. Didnt know the system read the ac pressure either

Somethig doesnt sound right, i cant even find where those things intersect with the ECU on the wiring diagram I know the ecu could care less about the air conditionining. It never reads that. I know it reads the AC relay and the AC diodes.

nipper

• Like 1

You are getting some kinda numeric 'echo' with your reader. Look at the last two digits in those last 3 numbers. They are bogus.

Some code readers - even if listed as OBD II - won't REALLY work with all OBD II cars. I THINK Subies have to be read with one that is ISO compliant. (there are IIRC 4 protocols)

What reader do you have? Could you get to an Autozone and have them confirm the codes?

I dunno

Carl

thanks for your replys. the car has about 270,000 kilometres on it. that's about 162,000 miles. i've been straightening it out and have cleaned up a number of the electrical contacts. i also did clean and tighten up the battery posts and this did solve some runability/starting issues. got a new battery yesterday and will be installing that.

the code reader i got was off ebay. you can find a description of it here.....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Universal-OBD2-OBD-II-Code-Scanner-Code-Reader-NEW_W0QQitemZ4652385009QQcategoryZ43989QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i am pleased with it. it seems to work well and is easy to use. i think that it will also work on my vw.

i may try the oxygen sensor route to try and get rid of the codes. my gas mileage doesn't seem to be all that great so this might be a good bet. anyone know how many wires there are to the sensors on these cars. i've always had luck with generic sensors and have one sitting on a shelf in my garage.

i'll keep you posted but might not get to this till next week.

regards,

mark

Wow, I didn't think you could get a reader for under $100. That's what I've seen them for at Walmart. I would confirm the codes with Autozone as another person said.

thanks for your replys. the car has about 270,000 kilometres on it. that's about 162,000 miles. i've been straightening it out and have cleaned up a number of the electrical contacts. i also did clean and tighten up the battery posts and this did solve some runability/starting issues. got a new battery yesterday and will be installing that.

the code reader i got was off ebay. you can find a description of it here.....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Universal-OBD2-OBD-II-Code-Scanner-Code-Reader-NEW_W0QQitemZ4652385009QQcategoryZ43989QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i am pleased with it. it seems to work well and is easy to use. i think that it will also work on my vw.

i may try the oxygen sensor route to try and get rid of the codes. my gas mileage doesn't seem to be all that great so this might be a good bet. anyone know how many wires there are to the sensors on these cars. i've always had luck with generic sensors and have one sitting on a shelf in my garage.

i'll keep you posted but might not get to this till next week.

regards,

mark

Wow, I didn't think you could get a reader for under $100. That's what I've seen them for at Walmart. I would confirm the codes with Autozone as another person said.

the code reader works great and was very affordabe.

there is no auto zone here in canada that i'm aware of that reads codes for free.

i have no reason to doubt the readings.

will be trying it on my vw tonight.

the code reader works great and was very affordabe.

there is no auto zone here in canada that i'm aware of that reads codes for free.

i have no reason to doubt the readings.

will be trying it on my vw tonight.

well its not working well at all on the subaru, as its telling you things are bad that the subaru ECU does not monitor at all.

You need to have somone else pull the codes.

nipper

I agree that the code reader may be at fault. I tried a cheap one friend has for his GM car, and it didn't work.

I recently purchased an Actron code reader. I have used the CP9135 and the CP9145 and can attest that thet both work with my 98 Legacy. They are supposed to work with all the OBDII Subs.

I got the CP9150 kit, which is a CP9145 and the leads to do lots of OBDI cars, most GM, Ford, Chrysler, and a few others. There is no mention in the documentation if it works with older Subarus.

The CP9145 is nice because it can give sensor re-outs too. I was able to determine that my TPS was not adjusted correctly. I was 0% at 1000 rpm with the throttle open and showing 92% and WOT. Not so good.

I would recommend getting one if you do a lot of work yourself.

Rob

I've never been impressed with the crude, over priced code readers that I've seen. Does anyone know a source for a cable and software so you can read everything properly on a laptop?

i used the code reader on my 01 golf last night that has a check engine light showing. the codes said misfire cyl 2 and knock sensor. the cel went on during a wet day when the engine started missing. the reader read it correctly and i was also able to clear the codes.

i tend to believe the codes it pulled on my subaru and will start to tackle the fix.

i'll keep you posted.

regards,

mark

you can beleive them but there are things that the subaru ecu do not monitor (like ac pressure, it could care less). Not all readers perfectly interface with all cars, the same way not all sound boards work in all computers.

good luck

nipper

I've never been impressed with the crude, over priced code readers that I've seen. Does anyone know a source for a cable and software so you can read everything properly on a laptop?

Few month ago I bought smth like this.

Works fine with some free software. Good for monitoring few parameters. No idea about codes, the only one I had so far is knock sensor - this one was the same using this and Autozone's reader.