Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First time wheeling was loads of fun until...

Tosh

My cluch went toast and my right front CV went with it and the left front shows signs of joining the bandwagon.

sorry pics will have to wait till tomorrow (not taken on my camra) but since my wagon is my daily driver I need to get it running soon so what choices do I have as far as cluches and cv replacements. I'd rather go with more $ and better reliablity. I saw something on here about a stage 2 clutch for a GL-10 turbo wagon (thats what I have).

and what options do I have as far as CV joints ? I have a friend of a friend who works for a subaru dealership so is OEM the way to go or what ? any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

you can't get OEM axles anymore (I checked at my local dealer), and if you could they'd still be like $300 each...

I just went to Mike's Auto Parts (local place) and bought a remanufactured one for like $65 (plus core)... make sure you get a lifetime warranty one and carry a spare if you're doing some harsh wheelin'...

you can also get yours rebuilt here...

I just used an OEM clutch replacement in my GL turbo, but it's not an off-road car...

--Spiffy

I hear the GCK EA81 axles are BEEFY, but I have EA82's so in my experience, by the time you spend enough money, to have enough extra lifetime warranty reman'd crap axles, you might as well have had some custom ones made! I wouldn't feel comfortable wheeling on reman'd axles unless I had at least 4 spares just to make sure I could limp it home.

I've had horrible luck with remanufactured axles (had one last me about 18 hours once...), and great luck with junkyard axles, for a fraction of the price.

I orderd a GCK replacement halfshaft today $109.99

if they are really all that and a bag of potato chips I might get 3 more when the $ is available.

I still haven't decided on XT6 clutch or GL-10, anyone want to sway me ?

Here are the pictures I promised

-12.jpg

Made it to to top of the hill and quite proud of it!

-11.jpg

The gang

-8.jpg

Mike was standing on the rear bumper holding on to one of the racks he was all good until he tried to jump off at 20mph

-7.jpg

Just like in the nascar

-6.jpg

-5.jpg

-4.jpg

-3.jpg

-2.jpg

-1.jpg

-10.jpg

-9.jpg

This is where I lost the clutch.