Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear diff fluid change w/o warming up car?

This weekend I drained / filled my rear differential fluid without driving the car around to warm it up first. It drained fine, probably took a little bit longer though since the fluid was just ambient temp (which was around 85-90 so not exactly cold).

Was this a bad idea? I searched for writeups about changing the fluid and found some but none specifically addressed this. I had been working outside most of the day and didn't feel like subjecting myself to any extra heat or potential burns from the muffler or exhaust so that's why I decided to just do it "cold".

Steve

Nothing to lose sleep over!

I don't bother trying to warm it up, but I do flush a bit of new oil through before screwing in the lower plug.

Of course I am a man for details - and sometimes I wonder if it makes a difference :)

You're way ahead of all the people out there who drive until things break down, rear diff oil is often overlooked.

I did the front last night, yay, no more stinky gear oil for another 30K miles!

You know what else stinks? When you get all set up to drain and fill the front differential, then you realize that you need a 21mm socket and the largest you have is 19 :mad:. So don't assume like I did that the front plug is 19, it is in fact 21mm. I understand the newer models use a large "torx" bit.

Sears didn't have any 6 point 21mm sockets (they appeared to be running themselves out of a *lot* of sockets) so a 13/16", which is about 20.5mm, will fit with a little persuasion... and it was only $.97.

Thanks to places like the USMB I've saved hundreds of dollars by doing this work myself instead of at the shop. A big thank you to you guys!

Steve

This weekend I drained / filled my rear differential fluid without driving the car around to warm it up first. It drained fine, probably took a little bit longer though since the fluid was just ambient temp (which was around 85-90 so not exactly cold).

Was this a bad idea? I searched for writeups about changing the fluid and found some but none specifically addressed this. I had been working outside most of the day and didn't feel like subjecting myself to any extra heat or potential burns from the muffler or exhaust so that's why I decided to just do it "cold".

Steve

Basically its nice to get the oils warmed up bfore you change them. One reason is to help it flow better, the other is to get it all out. In all honesty, ive been doing it both way for these many years, and unless its in the 40's outside (30's or less i pay someone as i dont have a garage) it doesnt really matter.

nipper