Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Generation? Where's The Cutoff?

Do you really think that "New Generation" of Subarus includes 16-year-old cars?

It would be nice not to have to surf through all the post here just to get to the actual "New Gerneration Of Subarus".

What are your thoughts on this?

I feel anything pre-2000 is old school.

Juan

Its based on engine designation, anything that is EA series is old school, and everything that is EJ series is new school, although you do bring up a valid point, and maybe we could have a "middle school" for the first and second gen legacys and the first gen imprezas.

Lumping the pre 2k with the old school would make for strange bed fellows, the old school primarily go for offroading, while the new school croud wants to go faster. I concider my 96 new school as there isn't much change between the 96 and the 06 that is so remarcable as to make it a solidly different car, except for the much nicer interiors now being offered.

[...]I feel anything pre-2000 is old school.

I'm curious, since I own a '99 OB; what differences between the '99 and '00 make the former "old" and the latter "new" (besides internal versus external head gasket leaks :rolleyes: )?

The early Legacies and Imprezas must be considered New-Gen, because every Subaru that has been made from that point on has been based off those two cars... well, if you want to get technical, EVERY new Subaru is somehow based off the 1st-gen Legacy.

I'm going to try to keep an objective mood in this thread.

i've always thought EA = Old School and EJ = New School

eh... and if you put an EJ into an EA chassis... well you're just cool ;)

Now... would the SVX be new or old? :rolleyes: it's right on that line there....

Ej in a EA body.... well that just confuses everything, and i want to see pics.

i miss my 1988 GL hatchback with the d/r. Now if i can get a 2.2 or a 2.5 in it :)

nipper

New here is definately a relative term but alot hasnt changed since 1990. Most questions here are engine or transmission related and alot of that hasnt changed much in 17+ years either.

Definately use search to narrow it down.

It would be nice not to have to surf through all the post here just to get to the actual "New Gerneration Of Subarus".

I feel anything pre-2000 is old school.

Juan

I must admit I've had similar thoughts, Juan. But the way you stated your position really rattled my cage, so here's my $.02.

Absolutely yes! The introduction of the EJ22 in the 1989/90 Legacy is what defines "New Generation."

It would be nice not to have to surf through all the post here . . .

That's a two-way street my friend. Perhaps those of us with the "pure" 2.2L cars don't appreciate having to surf through all the problems that drivers of later models are having!

. . . just to get to the actual "New Gerneration Of Subarus".

Actual? Actual? Them's fighting words to me.

Frankly, I enjoy reading anything about EJ series Subies--there are enouigh similarities that I can learn from everyone's experience. But I would go along with the majority if a subdivision is to be made. It would, however, have to be based on some significant technological change (2.5L DOHC? SOHC?) It should not be based on some esoteric, subjective "my car is newer than your car" type of thinking.

I feel anything pre-2000 is old school. Juan

And I feel that anything post-1996 is . . . well, you get the idea!

im biting my tounge:-p

nipper

OK. I guess my question should have been "What is an old-generation Subaru?"

I should have read the home page for USMB where it is stated>

:> If your Subaru was built after 1980 but before 1990 or is a Loyale, Justy, XT or XT6<:

That would make any Subaru before '80 an Old Old-Generation of Subaru?

I reckon that would be old school.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Juan

Sue is very much insulted. You should never call a lady "old.":lol: As has been stated, all Subarus built from 1990 thru today share the same basic engine/transmission design. So yes, 1990 and up is "new school."

*Edit* Excepting Loyales, made from 1990-94. They are EA82's and thefefore "old school."

EJ=new school.

EA=old school.

I think the distinction between old school and new school has been clarified...

I still feel like my 96 Legacy is a "new" car. These subarus really age well compared to GM, Ford, etc...

I live in the rust belt and I am starting to get some rust around the door edges. If it weren't for that, my car would really feel new.

I am very impressed with my Subaru, and that is why I hope to stay in the Subaru family as much as I can. If Subaru built a true minivan-like vehicle, I would have one. As it is, I got a Dodge Grand Caravan. It is four years newer but has had more problems already....

Matt

How about if it has selectable 4WD, it is old school, and always on it is new school? D/R is another matter.

That makes my 86 BRAT old school and my 98 Leagcy GT new school.

What about the loyale? They were made until 92-93, I believe. EA's, right - so old school?

I am sure there are exception that would have to be made for FWD only Justies, not to pick on those guys. They are no time 4WD:grin:

Maybe there should also be a distinction between new school with OBDII and pre-OBDII.

Even better, if the dealer can still get parts for it, its new. If the car is older then the techincian working on it, it is old school.:grin:

BigMattyD, you should look at a Sambar.

http://www.subaru.co.jp/sambar/index.html

You want a Sambar Dias Wagon Super Charger.

http://www.subaru.co.jp/sambar/diaswagon/lineup/01/index.html

My Japanese is no-existant, so try http://babelfish.altavista.com/.

Apparently you can blow smoothly in all the rotary limits and rise, adopting 4 cylinder EGI engines which on the various roads it can run in. With the adoption and the like of multipoint injection, also fuel economy actualizes low.

I am not sure if they are available outside of Japan.

How about if it has selectable 4WD, it is old school, and always on it is new school? D/R is another matter.

That makes my 86 BRAT old school and my 98 Leagcy GT new school.

What about the loyale? They were made until 92-93, I believe. EA's, right - so old school?

I am sure there are exception that would have to be made for FWD only Justies, not to pick on those guys. They are no time 4WD:grin:

except in SOME parts of the world they can still get them...

not fair

niipper

I tried the babelfish translation, it is extremely funny, kind of like the english assembly instructions we get with our cheap Chinese products at walmart, etc...

Any way, it was kind of difficult to get a real sense of the vehicle, but it did look interesting. The funny thing is, the people in the ads look American, not Japanese...

Matt

I think the distinction between old school and new school has been clarified...

I still feel like my 96 Legacy is a "new" car. These subarus really age well compared to GM, Ford, etc...

I live in the rust belt and I am starting to get some rust around the door edges. If it weren't for that, my car would really feel new.

I am very impressed with my Subaru, and that is why I hope to stay in the Subaru family as much as I can. If Subaru built a true minivan-like vehicle, I would have one. As it is, I got a Dodge Grand Caravan. It is four years newer but has had more problems already....

Matt

Exactly. My 93 Impreza still feels new to me as well. It's in good shape, body wise, and with a 192k miles she still runs like a champ, albeit a champ with a leaky rear oil seal.:rolleyes: (That smoke really scares people though, doesn't it?) I'd certainly trust this car on a long-distance drive more than something off the Garbage Motors assembly line. Subarus just age much more gracefully. My last car was an 89 Crapalier. By the time it was 10, it was on the brink of throwing a rod. Sue's engine is still quiet as a mouse, albeit a leaky mouse.:rolleyes: All she asks for is a little love an an occasional quart of oil. Not bad for a 13 year old car.

Here's to another 13 years. *rasise glass*