Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Generation? Where's The Cutoff?

I'd hate to lose the early 90s guys because I've gotten some very good advice from them. You'd be lucky enough to lose me too as mine is a 99.

I was in Portland Oregon this week and rented an 06 Legacy with about 1,000 miles on it. My wife commented that it was a cut above our usual rental car.

So many things felt the same between my 99 Forester and this car. It even still has the Subaru virgin switch, the controls work the same and it was nice and tight. They finally seem to have got the cruise control software right, at least on this brand new car. When I flew back here the old Forester with 127,000 on it was almost surprising in how good it felt after all those miles.

I agree with the folks who say Subaru has not changed a lot and it is a good thing!

I have to be weird here and say that I go by hub design :banana:

Seriously.

The 360 cars are obviously old-school :lol:

The EA's all have the 4 X 140, so they're old-school.

The EF's (Justy) has a 4 X 100 pattern, but if you look at a Justy hub, you can't help but notice the striking resemblance to the EA cars. It's old-school too.

Now here's the kicker. Most die-hard Subie guys regard the XT6 as between old-school and new school. It was the transition from the EA to the EJ. It still technically has an EA engine; the ER27 is nothing more than an EA82 with two extra cylinders. But some of the external engine stuff (an IAC valve, the exhaust manifolds, etc.) are very similar to the EJ's. And here of course is the hub part: the XT6 has 5 X 100 lug pattern. Yes it still has the old control arm setup (that's why EA guys can use XT6 stuff), but also, Legacy brakes can apparently be adapted to the XT6 hubs :)

If you wanna get right down to it, the XT6 is technically still old-gen. But it's more new-gen than any other old-gen :lol:

Everything else, 5 X 100 and 5 X 114.3, is all new-school.

Hope it's all clear as mud now :D