Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4X2 to 4X4

ryry46d9

im looking to buy a 1984 GL wagon 2X4

i have a 1986 GL 2door hach back

was wondering if it was easy to convert that wagon using the parts from my 86 (trany/rear-end ) i know i will need to find the drive line but thats not a problem

i was looking under the back and it looks like the gas tank might be a problem

has any one heard of such a conversion

any help would be nice thanks inadvance :headbang:

ryry

problem with that is the back gass blew about 1 1/2 years ago all the places i've looked only have wagons the one place that had it wantted $185 (too rich for my blood)

pluss that car got smacked in the rear before i bought it and messed up the frame i would love to lift that car but i would have more fun in the wagon

P.S. thier is a place in spokane,wa that if they ever get one in , it would only cost me $15 for that rear hatch "pull and save" i think is the name

Being one of the few that has done this, I can tell you that it's not all totally bolt up. Besides the mentioned parts, you'll need a 4WD wagon exhaust, the floorpan will have to be beat in, or the body lifted, the 4WD lever mount will have to be moved over (drill out the spot welds, and reweld it to the tunnel of the new car), and the shifter hole will need to be enlarged. The gas tank was by far the most annoying part of the swap tho - took me half a day to remove both, and install the 4WD one in the wagon. You have the disadvantage that the hatch tank is not a fit for the wagon - you'll need (and it's bigger, so you'll WANT it too) a 4WD wagon tank.

GD

thank's guys for the replys i think that would have bein nice to do but im going to take bratsrus1 up on his offer :headbang:

but any one in the pasco,wa area looking for a 2WD 84' wagon i know where two are in kennewick for sale @ a good price one auto/one manual (fixer-upers) :)

the guy also has a 4WD but the rocker panles are all rusted out on the drivers side and gone on the passanger side

and one last one think it is a 82?

its the body style before mine with the singal head lights think that one was also 2WD