Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Loyale wiring problem

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and new to Subaru. I'm trying to fix an odd problem on my son's '90 Loyale. The wipers, headlights, and heater all quit working. The fusable links are all four good. The fuses are all good, but no power is found on any of these three fuses. Does anyone know where to start on this problem.

Does anyone have wiring diagrams?

Welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here. I see you are a fellow Alaskan. It's always good to have another member from our state.

After looking at my reference it appears that the common things for the circuits you mention are the black fusible link and the ignition switch. If you are getting voltage on both sides of the link and the connections are clean an solid then you may find the problem on the bottom side of the fusible link holder. Perhaps the feed wire has come loose from the connection there. If that is ok, I would then start checking the ignition switch area. There is a connector to it that may have a bad contact connection. Keep us posted on the progress.

I found the problem, after several hours of wire tracing and a fax from the Subaru dealer full of diagrams. The problem was that a connector that is right below the steering column had come loose. I followed the wires from both ends and it was my wife that actually pointed out that it had to be the connector. Here I am with egg on my face. I never did find the headlight relays. Does anyone know where they are located?

Jerry

Good deal Jerry. Glad you found the trouble. The relays for the lights are about in the middle of the dash area I believe. There should be 4 relays mounted together and I think the middle ones are for the lights. Sounds like your wife is ready for a new line of work.