Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rx7 cooler

I've hit 22psi on my EA81 and it didn't even ping. This was accidentially though, had a waste gate line blow off, and it wasn't for more than the few seconds. I've got a buddy running 25psi on a stock ford 2.3 block and pistons. He has some minor upgrades to the intake and fuel system. I don't see why we can't hit 20 on ours. Up the fuel pressure, put in bigger injectors, and intercool it, if we can hit 15, then 20 shouldn't be a far reach. I think that i now have a quest!!!!

Originally posted by Dennis ex24

no idea on the fuel cut defender...

but just a thought

if you blow 17PSI into an EA82T youll likely be leaving pistons and rods all over the road...14 is cool, im gonna experiment with 15 once this wastegate is corrected on the XT.

The heads are morelikely to melt.

an EA82T will not reliably handle 22PSI...maybe for a (read: one) 1/4 mile run, but dont expect to drive it home afterwards

these motors are not closed deck and already prone to eating headgaskets. the fuel system will not handle 17PSI on a daily basis with out going lean - hence my comment about dystroying pistons. the initial poster said nothing of a fuel system/head gasket upgrade

ummm...i've certinly never seen an OPEN deck EA82...even a non turbo one.

*edit*

If one uses CU headG's and STi injectors, with an STi fuel pump (or equvilants)...possibilities unlimited....but the engine has limits on airflow. Heads.

i think that a *NEW* EA82T, in perfect mechanical condition, with the above parts, Spyder intake and a VF34 with a rather large front mount could push 20 or better...for a couple thousand miles. Keeping in mind that everything else, internally atleast (except CU HG's), is stock.

Could you run lost of boost.... shure start out by lowering the compression by installing some custom built forged pictons ( I prefer CP) cromo hand filed rings, then build / buy some real rods. The crank will more than likely be the weak link but you might get away with it. O ring the head and deck. All ARP fasteners. External Oil cooler, Bigger injectors, Adjustable fuel pressure regulator and and AN 8 feed line from pump, Fuel pump upgrade wire set up, Gaudges to support it all. I.E. egt boost, oil press, temp, coolant temp. And to tune, a wide band o2. To make this kind of reliable you need a stand alone. As well as a couple hours and someone who is knowledgable on a dyno/your stand alone. Of course I would want to KNOW the heads were good and pressure tested to support 20+lbs. Anybody can run lots of boost with retarded timing, but hang on to your hat with a mapped table to 25psi.

Oh yeah you probably want to run water injection a bigger more efficent turbo and a front mount or water to air.

But for my money 11psi and less than $50 bux sounds pretty good.

Josh

My Gvr4 on the other hand thats a different story.

sorry to stray off topic there.....

So yes the top mount turns into a heat sink until you get a scoop. I'm running mine with no scoop and It definately runs stronger when I have not been running it hard (no heat soak) I will let you all know the difference when I get scooped. Subarutex can probably tell you now though.

Josh

I run a Mazda 323 BMFR intercooler in front of my radiator (which is now upgraded to a legacy RS), run the pipes over the front cross rail (the one above the radiator) and have a couple of mild bumps in the front of the bonnet to allow them to go over. It makes a huge diff, no heat soak, and my fan runs permenantly behind, thus it is always cool. I have water sprayer for the radiator and intercooler too. It all cost me $NZD50.00

And what a difference over the stock setup. I run 14 -15psi boost, but have forged pistons, and a well checked out block, with oversized rod bolts.

Plus, I use it on gravel...which is the best part.

Every one here is talking about running what sounds to me to be an incredible amount of boost through these little engines. I was just wondering what kind of quarter mile times and elapsed times people are posting under these boost conditions. Or am I way off base in thinking that big horsepower is for drag racing only. I love my turbo brat its great for running fire trails, perfect pizza wagon especially that its now snowing but as far as Im concerned it cant get out of its own way let alone anyone elses. Im not trying to insult anyone out there I just havent had any experience with going fast on 4 cylinders. Whats possible how much will it cost. would a guy be better off for quarter mile purposes building a big block Dart or Nova. Once again Ive always loved the Subes Ive had for there off road ability in completely stock form,would have never thought of trying to make one go fast.

Of course a big block V-8 will be better in 1/4 mile times than one of these wimpy little soob motors..

A built 5-600HP 396 will stomp the sh!it out of a soob in a stright line any day of the week... But put me on a mountain trail and Bo and Luke Duke wouldn't keep up with me and my 115HP turbo monster

Even at high boost, these things, both by design and by general use, are not straight line track cars. They are for rally, snow and 4wheeling.. all the paces you would never take your charger or nova or whatever.

I just noticed you mentioned a dart above.. having had a Big Block(and small block and various other) Dart in the past.. Just keep this in mind.. Its a completely different world.. even at higher boost levels, intercooled and better exhaust, you are still only looking at 140-160 hp.. something that is important though is that the soob doesn't weigh as much as an old american muscle car.. thet Nova with the 396?.. its motor and tranny weigh more than half of what your whole brat weighs

Thanks for the heads up I was just really curiuos because I didnt know. I have had plenty of fun off road and in the snow in my Subes and wouldnt trade them for nothing in world for that purpose. Ive had many people tell me you'll never get through that in that little thing only to hear OH MY GOD i dont believe it when I did.I love my Sube. no offense was intended in my questions.

Im workin on a 69 dart with a 383,fender well super comps,polished and ported closed chamber heads,purple shaft cam,holley 750 double pumper(what gas mileage)3200 stall converter in rebuilt 727 trans,8 3/4 with a 3.91 sure grip and the rear wheel wells cut to look like a 68 Hemi Dart. Itll be alot of fun at the 1/8 mile in Sturgis should be ready to go next spring. Sorry I know that this board is for Subes it wont happen again

LOL :banana:

Just be sure to start a conversation about the Dart in the off topic area! I reaspect the old muscle cars...nothing beats the Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupe.

But then again, absolutey nothing beats out any subaru as the most badass all around do all vehicle!