Ultimate Subaru Message Board

backing plates

how important are the backing plates on the rear discs on an EA82?? I wanted to remove mine but when I looked up the conversion it said that was one of the things you need to do the conversion. Mine's so rusted I worry about it lasting more than a year... and I would like to just remove it. Does it act as a spacer or something? and if it does can't I just put spacers in to make up for the gap left by the lack of the plate? thanks anyone who replies.

-jordan

IIRC the backing plate is actually welded or a part of the caliper bracket, in order to remove it you'd have to cut it from the rest of the backing plate.

I dont see a problem running without it, just make sure you dont damage the structural integrity of that caliper bracket... that part is kinda important.

-Brian

alrighty, i'll just cut the rest of it off. from my experience the plates just trap stuff between the rotor and the plate itself and makes annoying noises. just got done getting the rear end together, pushing the car outside, putting the hood on it, and cleaning up in the basement. found 21 broken bolt heads, haha.