Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got the car back today.....they did a great job pulling the frame out for me on the side that was crashed however now on the opposite side theres like an 1 1/2 inch gap between the headlight and front bumper.

(in other words the bumper is about an inch below the bottom of the headlight)....

i dont wanna complain to the guy that did it...b/c he helped me out big time ( guy i work with talked to his dad, who talked to the guy at the body shop, who did it for only like $135) im not sure what a fair price is...but i know for sure at "kovatch" the place that did it nothing is that cheap.....

so $135 for the frame pulling

25 for the fender from EZ Pull

50 for the bumper and bumper beam from Harry's

free hood from my car as soon as i get my hoodscoop and vents for my rs hood

free headlight and corner light as soon as i get my rs ones in the mail

?? for steering wheel with airbag

and then we should be pretty ok.....right now its green maroon and white...but once i get everything straightened up i think shes gonna have it painted pink

ill take some pics tomorrow, i keep forgetting im thinking maybe i could just get away with jacking the bumper beam up while having a bunch of people sit on the front of the car haha...

so whats this "come along" and hows it work....also wtf does "FTW" mean im always see'n it and u never know if u never ask

also how should i go about replacing my g/f's airbag? just pull a steering wheel from the junkyard that already has it or pull the airbag from the junkyard steering wheel and then just install it in the one i have? i didnt get a chance to look into that yet as thats not on the list of priorites right now...

just got the car back today.....they did a great job pulling the frame out for me on the side that was crashed however now on the opposite side theres like an 1 1/2 inch gap between the headlight and front bumper.

(in other words the bumper is about an inch below the bottom of the headlight)....

i dont wanna complain to the guy that did it...b/c he helped me out big time ( guy i work with talked to his dad, who talked to the guy at the body shop, who did it for only like $135) im not sure what a fair price is...but i know for sure at "kovatch" the place that did it nothing is that cheap.....

so $135 for the frame pulling

25 for the fender from EZ Pull

50 for the bumper and bumper beam from Harry's

free hood from my car as soon as i get my hoodscoop and vents for my rs hood

free headlight and corner light as soon as i get my rs ones in the mail

?? for steering wheel with airbag

and then we should be pretty ok.....right now its green maroon and white...but once i get everything straightened up i think shes gonna have it painted pink

ill take some pics tomorrow, i keep forgetting im thinking maybe i could just get away with jacking the bumper beam up while having a bunch of people sit on the front of the car haha...

so whats this "come along" and hows it work....also wtf does "FTW" mean im always see'n it and u never know if u never ask

also how should i go about replacing my g/f's airbag? just pull a steering wheel from the junkyard that already has it or pull the airbag from the junkyard steering wheel and then just install it in the one i have? i didnt get a chance to look into that yet as thats not on the list of priorites right now...

the only FTW i know is F*** the world.

A come-along is a ratcheting winch that is rated for a few 1000 lbs or more. Its a wonderful thing

YOu need the air bag and the sensors. the sensors are made for a single use only. They destruct upon impact, so the ABS light will always be on even if you just change the bag.

nipper

how does the airbag actually shoot out?...is there a canister of nitrous or something, or a chemical combustion? haha i've always wondered

its an honest to goodness explosive that is set off with an electrical charge.

nipper

nice job getting it fixed hotdog! i'm surprised the headlight gap is that much. sounds odd. i had a much worse accident in my XT6 and i pulled it out myself with very little gap (and i have NO idea what i'm doing with body work type of stuff). other than a friends honda this was my first attempt.

come along is just like a winch, except it's hand powered. very simple. it's like a really heavy duty rathcet...hook it to where you want to pull and start cranking away by hand. very simple. it's best to leave as much bolted up as possible that way as you pull everything else comes with it...comes out just like it went in so to speak. but sounds like you're done with it.

maybe you can start another thread about the air bags, i'm really curious about them too. the charge is located in the bag/steering wheel and the sensors that need to be replaced are located where?

my OBS needs some air bag work and i have no idea how it works, what to replace or where the computer is, time to start a separate thread hot dog...ready????

nice job getting it fixed hotdog! i'm surprised the headlight gap is that much. sounds odd. i had a much worse accident in my XT6 and i pulled it out myself with very little gap (and i have NO idea what i'm doing with body work type of stuff). other than a friends honda this was my first attempt.

come along is just like a winch, except it's hand powered. very simple. it's like a really heavy duty rathcet...hook it to where you want to pull and start cranking away by hand. very simple. it's best to leave as much bolted up as possible that way as you pull everything else comes with it...comes out just like it went in so to speak. but sounds like you're done with it.

maybe you can start another thread about the air bags, i'm really curious about them too. the charge is located in the bag/steering wheel and the sensors that need to be replaced are located where?

my OBS needs some air bag work and i have no idea how it works, what to replace or where the computer is, time to start a separate thread hot dog...ready????

i think im just going to pull a steering wheel from the junkyard and then just swap them out that way i wont have to deal with all the b/s.....but as far as that gap between the headlight and bumper...im def going to fix that she doesnt care but its driving me nuts.....i just havent had the time to work on it yet, i was hoping the garage was going to take care of all of it

im going to look into that come-along sounds alot better then dragging two vehicles out to the cvs parking lot and chaining one up against those big yellow poles then pulling with a truck haha

right now the car is green white and maroon...anybody know anyone that can paint a car for a fair price...i dont have a garage to let it sit between coats and all....

thanks for all the advice

-sean

FTW= for the win!!!!!11!!! (it is a nasioc term)

as for airbags I think you need to replace the steering wheel part (the one that blows out) and there is a thing behind it called the clock spring...I believe you replace that too. Simple rule of thumb on airbag systems....all connectors are bright yellow so that you don't confuse them with anything else...so that might make finding system parts a little easier and not as confusing.

Good job dude...you well on your way on the cheap!

EDIT: the sensors are in the beam or attached to it I think...look for yellow plugs! ( and you are going to have to replace them if they got damaged in the crash)

FWIW, (for what its worth) you do not need to have a working airbag system for PA inspection.

as for airbags I think you need to replace the steering wheel part (the one that blows out) and there is a thing behind it called the clock spring...I believe you replace that too. Simple rule of thumb on airbag systems....all connectors are bright yellow so that you don't confuse them with anything else...so that might make finding system parts a little easier and not as confusing.

EDIT: the sensors are in the beam or attached to it I think...look for yellow plugs! ( and you are going to have to replace them if they got damaged in the crash)

FWIW, (for what its worth) you do not need to have a working airbag system for PA inspection.

so if my airbag light is on....im still good?...it

so if my airbag light is on....im still good?...it doesnt

so if my airbag light is on....im still good?...it doesnt really

so if my airbag light is on....im still good?...it doesnt really matter

so if my airbag light is on....im still good?...it doesnt really matter anyways

so if my airbag light is on....im still good?...it doesnt really matter anyways i

so if my airbag light is on....im still good?...it doesnt really matter anyways i go

so if my airbag light is on....im still good?...it doesnt really matter anyways i go to

so if my airbag light is on....im still good? i wanna replace it anyways...JUST IN CASE something like this ever happens again

thanks for the heads up on the sensors...i probably would have forgot about them...any idea of where there located? im going to be visiting the junkyard tomorrow so i dont wanna spend too much time there

I don't have my impreza anymore to go look at but like I said there are sensors in the front somewhere and they should have a yellow plug on them.

I totally agree with wanting a working airbag system but if you are in a hurry to get the car back on the road you could skip this stuff for now...

hrmm like 6 of the same post. Like i said before, the snsors are made for a single use. They are designed to destruct, thats how they activate the bag.

The sensors need to be replaced, otherwise the wir bag system wont work. You can drive the car like that, just no more sliding into things.

nipper

woah i dunno what happened back there...but someone with power should delete those useless posts...and yes the car is on the road right now...but it'll need an inspection sticker come october..so im not really in a hurry just figured i'd get all this done while were on the subject then to wait a couple months and probably never finish it

Looks like you made pretty fast work of getting the 93 back on the road. :)

Are you going to get the newer style headlights and grille for your coupe? My vote is to nix the cute little decal.

I noticed your coupe has the original Subaru foglights. I've considered adding them to my 93 wagon. Do they put out enough light to be helpful in inclement weather? I see your lenses are broken. Are the lenses very vulnerable to ordinary road debris gravel, etc. (not off-road) driving?

yeah im waiting for my headlights and grill to come in the mail....along with my rs spoiler...then all the old stuff goes on adriennes car including my old maroon hood...which the pictures dont show yet]

those foglights suck....but they look nice i'd like to be able to find another set of them...but its almost impossible.....so im just gonna go with an rs bumper and then some hella's

the covers are actually glass....and the one that is broken on my car is the only one that still works the other ones bulb is shot...there probably prettu durable...but they came broken with the car