Ultimate Subaru Message Board

we were on our way to drive one of our buddies to college.....to make a long story short since the whole night has been crazy....roads were at flood like conditions.....we were going around a left turn onto a bridge..

i felt like we were going to fast so i grabbed the wheel...when i grabbed it i felt no traction and the car just keep going forward completely understeer....so i hang on to it with the wheels pointed left after the car hydroplains the front wheels bite and the rear end slides around...so then i countersteer it, but once she feels me moving the wheel to the right she started to help me...and then initially we oversteer right into the concrete bridge......holy************ we were lucky

no one was hurt...airbag went off.... the part of the bridge we hit got knocked off and fell into the screaming creek luckily we hit towards the end where it was rooted into the ground rather than the parts that are just sitting on top of a beam acting as a guard rail.....after we hit we all get out...me and the guy we were taking to college push the car to the side of the road into someones driveway...and do the usual thing (call cops, etc.)4 1/2 hrs. later im home telling u guys the story....

once we started driving i realized how badly the roads were flooded and said we should go back and take my car b/c the one we were in didnt have good tires and was fwd......that and im always nervous when leaving the old lady drive....so i figured i'll let her do her thing without having to tell her to slow down every few seconds...so i started reading the motorsports magazine...untill we take that turn....after settling down the local neighbor tells us how theres always accidents going around that bridge when its wet out....and said if we would have hit the side when we were actually over the water we would have gone right into the creek...and by the looks of the flooded creek we probably would have floated downstream quit awhile untill we could get out.....

finally when the tow truck comes...we were talking and he was telling me how bad it was out today....that he had to pull a kid and his car out of the nearby creek..cuz the car flipped on its roof

my buddy actually got to take pictures since he was going back to college just to finish up two photography classes.....once i get them i'll post the damage.....but eh if any of u guys learn something from this...wear your seatbelt we both put ours on from joking around earlier about how bad of a driver adrienne is ( my g/f) and how its raining with bad tires...and wouldnt ya know it we crashed..only injury was a small rash from the airbag and her face meeting..first crash i've ever been in and glad it was a happy ending....i feel like an a**hole for not switching cars when i could have but thats life....im just glad i grabbed that wheel or else we prolly would have either gone right through the bridge or flipped right over it....

in the meantime if anyone has any aspen white gc front body parts let me know....hopefully when i can take a look at it, the frame wont be bent

what do u guys think i should look out for b/c of the crash...its a 93 FWD 5-speed 1.8 impreza....(suspension, drivetrain, steering,etc?)

all the major stuff is still ok...even the radiator is good im just worried about the sheet metal

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what do u guys think i should look out for b/c of the crash...its a 93 FWD 5-speed 1.8 impreza....(suspension, drivetrain, steering,etc?)
Ouch! Thankfully no one is hurt. Assuming that you've already done some serious introspection (e.g. now when you see someone driving a little slower, you'll have a new appreciation for their ability to respect OTHERS safety). Right? These are hard lessons, so cash-in on the value. Nuff said. :)

Off my soapbox. I'd say other than driving it and making judgements based on you familiarity with the car before, you should be able to figure out what's bent. Dont go too far from home until you know that nothing's gonna conk-out. Have the alignment checked. Keep an eye out for leaks.

**** ******!

NExt time buy the awd model, could have avoided that. Good thing its a subaru and it is still safe.

ditto. When i had the fwd fuse in my OBW it would hydroplane fairly easily with brand new tires. I took out the fuse and it drove like it was on nails.

Glad no one was hurt. Inspect all the body gaps to check and make sure the car isnt bent.

nipper

wowsers, glad everyone is okay. that's terrible.

post pictures of the damage, these guys are good, they can probably help alot with fixing it.

what impacted first? the wheel, fender, bumper, door?

i have a 97 impreza OBS with good front bumper if that works for you let me know.

glad everyone is ok,sad about the soob..

reminds me about last night heading to hampton at 10pm..nasty rain and at times it felt like i was gonna hydro-plane at highway speeds(60-65mph)

i ended up dropping my speed to about 55 and the crazy thing is that people were passing me like i was standing still,must of been about 80-86..

why did you have to grab the wheel? you weren't the one driving

good question,why did you?

why did you have to grab the wheel? you weren't the one driving

your right i wasnt the one driving....and once she realized she was going to crash "she stopped driving" she yelled my name so then its my turn to take over....if i hadn't taken the wheel bro we would of went right into the creek

and about thet front bumper...yes i can def use it...whats your zipcode?

checked out the car today took a bunch of pieces off it ....the front right end is pretty F'd up.

I'll post some pics tomorrow....only the right side is bent...so maybe we could try and pull it back out just so holes match up for fenders and all....

im gonna need a front right fender, front bumper, bumper beam, both turn signals, i guess it would be the radiator bracket(metal part that goes across the front), she's also gonna need a passenger headlight and a hood..but i should be able to give her mine once i get my rs ones in the mail for my conversion......oh ya shes also gonna need a new steering wheel....like i said im going to check the local yards...but if any of you guys can help us out i'd appreciate it.....

wowsers, glad everyone is okay. that's terrible.

post pictures of the damage, these guys are good, they can probably help alot with fixing it.

what impacted first? the wheel, fender, bumper, door?

i have a 97 impreza OBS with good front bumper if that works for you let me know.

only hit once during the spinning and when we hit we stopped right after...basically just the front right corner headlight and all...it still runs and drives not 100% but i drove it like 7 miles to the rafting center where i work...so we can work on it and it did fine...let me know about that bumper that will definately be needed...the other bumper is garbage now

Good work Impreza, you succesfly protected your occupants.

No airbag burn I hope.

I drove my mom's RX300 through this weather today and let me tell you, that AWD system is no where near as good. I could feel the tires a spinnin. I drove down the same route later (working not joyriding) in the Legacy and well, couldnt have asked for anything better.

Dang that sucks about the car, but like everyone else soooo glad no one got hurt.

Think you should get your woman involved in autoX...it'll make her a better driver...help her understand her car and the limits she can push it (I drive slower in normal daily driving now and I can act on things better when a situation arises)

just a suggestion

Dang that sucks about the car, but like everyone else soooo glad no one got hurt.

Think you should get your woman involved in autoX...it'll make her a better driver...help her understand her car and the limits she can push it (I drive slower in normal daily driving now and I can act on things better when a situation arises)

just a suggestion

no completely true....as soon as we all got out of the car waiting for the cops and etc.

barachie, the other guy that was with said that she should have gone with us up on the mountain more often driving around the dirt roads (just joking around)...but its true i also have an impreza but mine is awd and mine wasnt available when we started driving

i can still kick my a** for letting her drive..but its her car and im always giving her ************ about driving bad....honestly tho now that were all ok i think the crash was a good thing b/c now i know she'll def drive safer..

i'm sorry, a lot of people think i'm sexist, which i fight them on, but i may very well be. but not in the "make me a chicken pot pie" way, just in the "my god i dont understand what you're thinking" way.

i know we just went through this big thing with shawn's email, and i hope this comment doesn't "offend" anyone:

would a man in that situation start to freak out, throw their hands in the air (wave them like they just dont care), and call the passenger's name to take over and "make it all better"?

no.

that's why my wife doesn't drive when i'm with her unless it's a long trip and i need a break. she can't handle weather or precarious situations without hyperventalating.

Very glad to hear nobody was hurt. The car has a strong frame and that's obviously a big factor, but my lord! If you had ended up in the river :eek:

On LosDios comment, I would tend to agree. However, men and women cause accidents and "near misses" for different reasons, but probably in the same amount.

Over-confidence - on the part of us males - is just as dangerous as the panic associated with a lot of women drivers.

Very glad to hear nobody was hurt. The car has a strong frame and that's obviously a big factor, but my lord! If you had ended up in the river :eek:

On LosDios comment, I would tend to agree. However, men and women cause accidents and "near misses" for different reasons, but probably in the same amount.

Over-confidence - on the part of us males - is just as dangerous as the panic associated with a lot of women drivers.

if you mean overconfidence in that some guys think that innercity roads are a good place to pretend they're Vin Diesel? yes, i agree.

if you mean overconfidence in that "don't worry, i'll make, i've got pleanty of room", then i dissagree. that causes dinged doors and scratches, but not injuries.

panic is the WORST thing you can do while driving. no matter what the situation.

examples in my life:

if there's an animal in front of me and thick traffic, sorry animal, i'm not slowing down or swerving. tha-thump.

if i start to lose traction, slow down the car by letting off the gas, steer the correct way to correct the car's path.

both of those things have happened to me quite a few times. i've had my car for over 5 years now (as long as i've been driving) and i've never been in a fender bender, smack, bang, boom, wreck, paint chip, and bumper brush because i KEEP MY COOL WHEN I DRIVE

good you are all ok.

Check at Harry's for some of the parts you will need... there was a good amount of impreza parts to choose from last time I was there.

yeah im going too soon...couldnt go today b/c of college and cant go tomorrow b/c of work....but i gotta make sure were going to be able to "unbend" the frame before i start buying parts that wont work....

at ez pull there was a red impreza just like this one....but last time i went somebody already took the front bumper hood and lights....there probably isnt anything left to that thing....but im going to check