Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Correct NGK plug number for 1.8OHC?

Ok, I've checked and everything says it's the right part #. Though I'm getting a sputter like somethings not firing(guess) after changing the plugs(BPR6ES-11 was in there previously). I've pulled the wires and plugs and redid it but still a rough idle and has the tendency to die.

//M

I use BPR6ES-11's in all my rigs, haven't had a problem yet. I gap at .045, which is .001 larger than the stock gap, but I also have stock coils too.

As for the rough idle, could it be something else? Vacume leak or whot not? You can see if it is one particular cylinder thats causeing the problem. Leave the engine idle, and pull off the plug wires from the dizzy one by one. If you pull one off and the engine smooths out, you've found the problem cylinder, if none of them make a difference, then you've got a problem somewhere else. Also make sure you check the gap. I've pulled some out of the box that had very little gap, and others have had huge gaps in them, so you should always check the gap first.

I think that's your problem. Specs. say .039-.043. if I remember correctly. I have no idea why they come factory gapped at .044. I was tripping on that when I bought them.

I didn't re-gap mine because the SuperStock coil allows you to gap them up to .050.

Everyone recommended the new coil (Accel #8140), since they're only $30-$40, and does a better job than the stock one.