Ultimate Subaru Message Board

REPAIR: '92 Legacy Seat Belt Retractor...

A detailer managed to get my driver's side seat belt retractor totally kerfunkledoodled......can anyone help me affect repair?

Can I get the center console sufficiently out of the way by removing the four screws on the inside of the arm rest/storage compartment?

My Haynes manual is on its way from AMAZON, until then....?

Thanks! Mark

Two screws inside the armrest storage compartyment, two more forward of the handbrake handle, and the small tray in front of that. The armrest console lifts up and back to clear the belt retractors. The beltsgo through a loop on the side of the seats, and a hole in the sides of the console. Once those two holes are cleared, the console is out. To remove the seatbelt retractors, you need a 16mm socket for the anchor bolts on the sides, and a 14mm socket (IIRC) for any remaining bolts. You may be able to free the belt webbing with the console removed, so try that before replacing the unit.

I never fail to get a chuckle out of every visit to this forum. Today's chuckle ......... "kerfunkledoodled" .......... Now, I have a new word to add to my friends "cushkiss", "florrgeydorful", and "wurbitz". ThankYou!!!

I recently replaced my '91 legacy belts with the Canadian version. Since I never can seem to throw anything away, you're welcome to my old belts, retractor and all if that will help you figure out how to make your belts work again. Free for the pickup in Bothell. Drop me a PM for a 'phone # if you think it will be helpful.

Edrach, if he does not want them, I do. I took the shops dog out for an outting the other day (he never gets to go anywhere, the poor thing) and while ai was fueling up the car, he ate my seatbelt webbing in the front. I just the time it took to put 13 gals of gas in the car, he chewed 3/4 of the way through the drivers seatbelt. . . Well, now I know why he never gets to go anywhere. . . (sigh)

So I'm in need of the center retractor and webbing from a 90-94 Legacy. Blue prefered, but the grey will work also (the two colors are really close, actually).

I will have them if I haven't thrown them out; I have the rails; need to look for the retractors and belts. They were blue and I hope I still have them. ---ed---

Edrach, if he does not want them, I do. I took the shops dog out for an outting the other day (he never gets to go anywhere, the poor thing) and while ai was fueling up the car, he ate my seatbelt webbing in the front. I just the time it took to put 13 gals of gas in the car, he chewed 3/4 of the way through the drivers seatbelt. . . Well, now I know why he never gets to go anywhere. . . (sigh)

So I'm in need of the center retractor and webbing from a 90-94 Legacy. Blue prefered, but the grey will work also (the two colors are really close, actually).

Memory is not as good as it used to be and I must have had a case of "organize-itis" and thrown them out since I don't have them anymore. I could pull a set if I find an acceptable one at PAP if you like.

Thanks, but I can do the same here. I'll wait for a suitable donor to arrive in the shop, or visit PAP somewhere around here, if the former takes too long for me. Thanks for looking!