Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NEED input... what is my 87 GL worth?

Ok insurance wants to total out the car... I want to get all the money I can before I buy it back....

The car:

1987 Subaru GL 4WD 5 speed Dual range

Calmaster rims, 50% tread on tires, XT seats ($150 back when they were rare) $100 short shifer, 93K on engine (since birth.... 35K + 58K that ive put on it) NEW $385 redline/weber setup (about 10K on it), New freeflow exhaust system $400+, 10K on it)

The car has PS and Pm... no power windows or locks...

The interior is in pretty good shape, the paint is very shiny, it has a dent in the liftgate and a small dent in the rocker of the RR door.

Personally to me the car is worth $2000-2500

Oh ya... its rust free :banana:

they will probably lowball you at first.. when my 88 turbowagon got wrecked they told me they were only going to give ne $800 at first.. So I showed them a Kelley Blue Book statement that said it would cost $3650 to replace my car from a dealership. That was the high quote. Edmunds and NADA were lower, so we settled on $2400.. Keep in mind that this was an 88 GL-10 TurboWagon in good shape.

PS.. I bought the car back from them for $25:D

More to add:

It has new timing belts, plugs, wires.... basically a 60K service done to it.

Also has a $250 CB setup and a retrofitted Impreza tape deck (show em the dealer price on an impreza tape deck... that may change their mind....)

I figure a dealer would ask like 1500 for it, and with all the mods that could bump it up like 500-1000 depending on where you get em.

The odometer may read 274K, but in its heart the car is still 93,000 miles young :banana:

And a 1987 GL with 93K goes for $2685 :D

Other than occasional dieseling due to the weber, I feel it drives like a GL with 93K, so thats the number I am fighting for :brow:

The maintenance you have done is absolutely useless in figuring relative worth or market value in the eyes of an insurance company.. get printed retail quotes from http://www.kbb.com , http://www.edmunds.com and the nada manual.. if you don't know anyone with a current nada manual, go to the public library, they carry them, and its only 10 cents a copy. What you think the car is worth doesn't mean a damn thing to the insurance company. The only thing that matters is what those three sources say. I have been through this more times that you can imagine

the 28th.... its nowhere near as bad as calebs... the core support where the fender mounds looks to be back 1/4 inch.... I can fix that with a BFH... the bumper is bent... I can install andrews black bumper from his wagon and give him a white replacement (since Moon silver is IMPOSSIBLE to find for my car)

And since price is regional. You should find prices for cars that are near your in condition and gadgets. Then show them the prices(ads and dealer estimates). This will show what it will cost to replace it. Show every receipt you ever received and kept for the car. Then be prepared to meet in the middle somewhere.

I am afraid they are going to look in the 1000 or less, and see car with about the same mileage and go off of that. I am personally thinking probably in the 1500 range, they will say all of the stuff you have listed, motor, etc is maintance that any car needs. The lucky thing is that you can buy it back if it is worth it, and part it out or fix it. I have a 87 Grey parts wagon in my back yard.

Aren't you listening Mike?

Maintenance doesn't matter.

What the subaru dealership says doesn't matter unless they put it in writing. Even then it doesn't matter much unless they currently have an 87 GL wagon for sale to back up what they say.

Nothing matters excepts current printed copies of book values as described above and hard copies of local soobs for sale. All of this will be temporized by what the adjuster has to say. And it is his job to save the insurance company money.

Get your paperwork together. Do your homework. Or you will be in for a nasty surprise and all the friends and friendly dealerships in the world won't be able to help you.

After a quick look, Kelley Blue Book places your car at around $2000.. thats nice and all, but insurance companies tend to try to avoid using Kelley's figures. And here's why: Edmunds lists your car, at dealer retail price around $800. Thats probably the price the insurance company will give you unless you can prove its worth more.