Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PDX to WCSS8 via Lolo Pass

I'm planning on taking an alternative route to the show this year; taking FS road 18 over Lolo Pass and in to Odell from the South West. There's just no adventure in taking I-84 to get there. So if anyone wants to join me, sign-up in this thread. We can work-out the time and place to meet-up in the coming weeks before the show.

New and Old Gen owners are welcome to come but if you are worried about rock chips, have a lowered suspension or running tires with an aspect ratio of less than 50 then I would not recommend taking this route.

when do you plan to pass-through/depart portland? evening of 8/24, or morning of 8/25?

--Spiffy

I was thinking about meeting at the A&W at the junction of 26 & 212 sometime in the late morning, but it's still to early to make the final call.

I was gonna do that route anyway....I know about every spur rd there very well...spent the last year cruising it. Plus some great wheelin too...the best part is to go straight instead of the second right at the pass....fun shortcut with a creek crossing( some quad guys gave me some funny looks as I blasted thru the creek in an outback!)The powerline rd is awesome and way more fun ...less traffic!:headbang:

I'm thinkin maybe Friday night with my overheads would be kewl...since I don't get off work until 8pm ....otherwise early Sat. morn. I think either way I'll have to wash the car for the show or just let the mud/dust fly!:banana: a couple of pics of the views going over the pass...

Ps ..I didn't intend to hijack ur thread...just adding more to it.

loloHood.jpg

pass.jpg

powerline.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

traffic shouldn't be too bad during the Hood to Coast.. just plan on doing 45ish rather 60ish.

I have to drop my wife off at my parents in welches before heading to the show (I don't think she'd have much fun there). So, I was planning to get to hood river over 35 if it's open, but Lolo pass would be fun as well.

Scoobyclimbs.... :slobber: WOW.. that is such beautiful country you drove through... no wounder you took pictures!!!!!!! Your car looked liked it belonged in the picture too :headbang:

I could send you a picture of a tumble weed if you would like? arrrg... I hate this area ... boring sagebrush.....

I do not have a CB and I'm not sure about Soobyclimbs.

The Subway is right on the highway less then a 1/4 mile past the ranger station going west on Hwy26, there's a big gravel parking lot next to it. About another 2 miles west there's a 76 station and a grocery store.

I wouldn't mind hitting a few trails but I do not have a lifted rig and I will be loaded down, so nothing too challenging.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=47.483365,80.244141&q=Zigzag+Subway&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=45.285999,-121.808167&spn=0.165945,0.313454

Gotta wait and see how much $ I have, I might just leave early Saturday morning, but I'd love to make the drive since I won't be working this friday :D

Well maybe you need to take all of your empty beer bottles back to the store.