Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to clean fabric to New car smell?

Well, being a former car detailer......and thus having experience with all things messy:brow: (lasagna and worse:eek: ) ....I would say that your best bet is to rent a little steam cleaner, or borrow if you know somebody that has one.

Probably whats happened is you still have some food stuck down under all that cleaner, and the food smell will always win. Shampoo/vacuum or steam clean it all out, and THEN hit 'er with febreeze - you should be good 2 go.:D

you could also call one of those carpet cleaners with the vans that have the huge carpet cleaning machines in them....Maybe even drive to their location and it shouldn't be too costly at all (200-300 bucks for a whole house).

I happen to work for a company (one of a few) that makes machines that do this type of work. Our machines can obtain heat under vacuum of over 230 degrees F.

There are millions of carpet cleaners out there that can get er done for you.

MaGuiar's makes a pump spray called "Car Odour Eliminator", and it works like a charm. It comes in a transparent yellow bottle, and can be found in most automotive sections of the big box stores. My 300ZX had a PO who smoked in the car, and two applications later the smoke smell was absolutely gone. The picture on the front of the bottle even shows a dog, suggesting that it'll remove urine smells as well. Try it. The stuff really works, just be prepared to have the bottle stick around for a long time, since you'll use very little of it. I even use it to freshen up the garbage pails in my garage.

On a related note (and hopefully I won't steal the thread), anybody know a good way to get ATF out of upholstery? Gallon jug of it leaked before I could get it to someone who'd properly dispose of it... and the cargo mat didn't quite contain it. Gave me a chance to make the wife feel guilty, though, since it came out of her Outback :D

Loaner?? When you return the car make sure you say something like "Man, you guys really need to detail that thing... it smells like somebody spilled lasagna or something in there!"

If you play it off right, maybe you'll get a discount :lol:

-Brian

LOL THANKS!

Lol a whole house, all i need is the rear seats lol and floor.

??

I was just estimating what they charge for a whole house.

So expect a quick car cleanup to be 25-50 bucks...

that's all I was getting at.

On a related note (and hopefully I won't steal the thread), anybody know a good way to get ATF out of upholstery? Gallon jug of it leaked before I could get it to someone who'd properly dispose of it... and the cargo mat didn't quite contain it. Gave me a chance to make the wife feel guilty, though, since it came out of her Outback :D

ATF is kinda oily, so i'd use degreaser. the dealership i worked at had the "big 'd' degreaser" which was green. spray on, brush in, hose off, vacuum up. smelt pretty good too...