Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am moving two amps in my car, I could swear I have everything hooked up correctly, and exactly the same way as I had it before I moved it, however when I turn the audio on, the speakers/subs hum. Furthurmore when I turn the engine on the speakers/subs wobble with the engine. I have grounded it in the exact same spot with the same wire, and my RCA/speaker wires are away from any power wires. One more thing that may help, I grounded it to three different spots to see if that was the problem when it did not solve it i put it back onto the original ground, and when I went to bolt the other grounds back up, I got a nice little shock?? Does anyone have any ideas on this. :banghead:

One more note, I took the RCA cables out of the deck, and when I cover the black RCA cable with my hand, the hum goes away.

I noticed when the amp is plugged in, all the grounds in my car have electricity running through them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I would first make sure that none of the speaker leads are connected to ground somehow. Remove the leads from the amp output and check the resistance between the leads and ground of the car chassis. There shouldn't be any continuity. If they are ok then check the input to the amp by removing all the inputs from the head. With all the inputs disconnected does the problem still occur? If it doesn't then you need to check the inputs for a problem. The head ground and amp ground may not be the same and you are picking up noise that way.

You stated that "I noticed when the amp is plugged in, all the grounds in my car have electricity running through them". Can you explain what you mean by this. Are you saying that you can measure some voltage on the supposed ground? If so, then that point is not really ground and needs to be bonded to real ground. I suspect the real problem you are having is due to dissimilair grounds between the head and the amps.

Thanks for the insight I will give it a shot. What i mean when I say there is electricity in my grounds, is when I go to touch the ground {that is a known ground} I get a nice little shock. This is only when the amp is plugged in though. When I disconnect the amp nothing happens.

It sounds like there may be a problem with the speaker lines if you are getting shocked when the amp is on. One of the leads may be making contact with ground. I would try to find out what is going on with this without turning on the amp if you can. The amp may get damaged if left like this. One clue would be if any speaker is having trouble.