Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OEM keyless entry for 93 Legacy?

I would say a Junkyard swap is your best bet. If your car has got central locking, you should be able to hook something up easy enough. I went through hell trying to get Suzuki and Honda to just send me the keyless locking relay for my cars. In the end i bought a Uniden alarm just for the remote locking feature. The Honda stealership quoted me $500 for the OEM keyless entry thing. Maybe Subaru isnt completely useless. :-\

While I don't think keyless entry was available on the Legacy until the body style change in 1995, it's possible you could modify the 1995 kit to work on the 93 Legacy. Unlike the 97+ Legacies which already have the keyless actuator in place, the 95 and 96 still have power locking controlled only by the driver's side mechanical lock tab like the 93, so the 95-96 kit includes a replacement power lock actuator to install in the driver's door. This would be the only major problem with installing the kit in the 93, since the body style changed and the actuator is probably different between the 95 and the 93. The replacement actuator has wires that allow it to be controlled both mechanically by flipping the lock tab on the driver's door and electrically by a pulse from the keyless entry module, whereas the original actuator is only controlled mechanically by the lock tab. If you could modify the 95-96 actuator to work on the 93 Legacy locks, you should be fine.

As far as the wiring goes, it's going to be different in the 93 than the 95-96, so the kit instructions won't be accurate as far as the wiring connections. You'll need a good wiring diagram that tells you where constant power, ignition switched power, the dome light, and the parking lights are wired under the dash, but these connections are very straightforward once you've properly identified the wires.

I easily installed a 97 Impreza keyless entry kit on my 93 Impreza with few modifications necessary, but in my case the lock actuators were readily interchangable.

The 95-96 Legacy keyless entry kit is Subaru p/n H7110AS000. It's $61 from subarugenunineparts.com, but check other sources. If you want the Subaru security system upgrade (which also adds the "chirp" when you lock the doors using the keyless), p/n H7110AS600, it's easy to add this to the keyless entry module once you have the keyless working, even though the security system wasn't really designed for the 95-96 car.

Is it possible, because the car does have the power locks, and i dont like having aftermarket systems so does anyone know if it will work, and can i get the system from another year? Thanks!

I have a JDM brochure (written in Japanese) and it had keyless entry but it doesn't look cheap to install. Remote was incorporated into the key, instead of the light, and the signal was received by a sensor installed on the drivers door handle. I'll bet it's very rare even in Japan. If your goal is to stick to OEM.

The recomendation from "ionic" seems to be your best bet.

Yes, it's definitely available for the 95-96 Legacy. The part number H7110AS000 is for the 95-96 kit. I installed it on in our 96. The 97-98 uses a different kit because it already has the actuator installed but has the same module (and same squarish two-button remotes, which you probably see frequently on ebay). The 99 and later has a totally different keyless entry system. I'm not sure why they changed in 99 since the body style changed in 00, but since the keyless entry module is not manufactured by Subaru, maybe their contract expired with the keyless vendor. The 95-98 Legacy keyless entry system is made by Code Alarm. The 99-0? system is made by Alpine. The actual keyless entry installation kits are fairly rare, particularly for the 95-96, and you will probably not find one on ebay. Your best bet is to order from one of the online dealerships. The "keyless entry" items they usually sell on ebay are usually either just the control modules or the remote fobs. You want the complete kit with all the wiring, fuses, actuator, module, remote fobs, and instructions.

A side-note is that the 97-01 Impreza uses the same Code Alarm keyless entry module as the 95-98 Legacy, but the 97 kit comes with the actuator similar to the 95-96 Legacy kit, whereas the 98-01 kit does not since the 98+ Impreza had the actuator already installed. The 97 Impreza kit will fit 93-96 Imprezas with power locks if you supply and fish two additional wires into the door for the actuator. The 95-96 Legacy kit comes with the two extra wires needed to install.