Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just got my first Subaru a few weeks ago! It's a 97 OBS with only 50,000 miles. :) It's in really great shape. However I have one issue that is during a tight corner or a good size bumb the rear tires sound like they are rubbing. With 3 people in the car it's worse. The car has 205/65/15's (The stock size) so tires should not be the problem.

Is this a spring or strut issue? I'd find it hard to belive it's a spring issue with the low miles but maybe the age has affected the struts.

Anyone else have this when their rear struts went bad?

Floydx

two things affect car parts, mileage and age. a low mileage car can have more problems then a new car.

Stick your head under the car and check for clearances. Make sure there isnt anything stuck there that is rubbing against the tire, like the nieghbors cat.

nipper

Make sure there isnt anything stuck there that is rubbing against the tire, like the nieghbors cat.

nipper

:grin::clap:

Can you see wear spots on the fender liners? This would indicate the tire is touching there. Also check brake caliper slide pins since weight and direction changes cause these to shift if they are binding.

And check all rubber bushing at the sway bars - if these are bad, you might exaggerate the suspension geometry with the additional weight and cause parts to rub against one another.

Are the wheels aftermarket? Even with the proper tire size, the wrong wheel offset can allow the tires to rub. A friend of mine had this happen to him when he bought a used Impreza with 205/60R15 tires on aftermarket-probably-meant-for-a-VW-or-something-wheels with a 35mm (iirc) offset.