Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where is that darn plug?

Well I'm back with another Loyale question. I did a search of the archives and found a decent article about diagnosing a problem with the automatic seatbelts. It was answered by a Legacy 777 I think. Well anyway in the post it tells of a plug which is located under the lower instrument panel and to ground the #2 socket to start the sequence of codes. I'll be darned if I can find this plug. Knowing me its probably staring me right in the face and I'm just not seeing it. I PM'd Legacy 777 but I haven't heard a word or even if he/she is around this site anymore. Has anyone ever had to use this plug or do you know where I might find it? Thanx, Toni.

I think you're right Craig, it does say that the problem car is a '90 Legacy. I guess I was figuring that they would be about the same. Evidently they are a different animal. At least I won't go crazy trying to find a plug that doesn't exist...... There was a local Subaru guru that used to wrench in this area and he told me one time that if I ever had a problem with the auto. seatbelts that he wished me alot of luck because I guess they are kind of complicated.

Are there any wiring diagrams available for these belts? Or will it be a trial and error thing? Its probably just a stuck limit switch or some simple thing like that. After I get some of my other issues repaired on this Sub., I'll probably dig into this and see what I can come up with. Thanx, Toni.

Well I guess as far as diagnostics for the Loyale seatbelts, I really don't think it exists. I have received an e-mail from Legacy 777 and verified that the info. was for a Legacy model. Oh well.

I'm wondering if the problem isn't in the control module itself. I could take the one out of my other '92 and put it into the trouble car and see what that will net me. I've been checking the limit switches ( at least the ones that I can get at) and so far they seem to be working. The one on the door post has those blasted torx screws with the center dimple in it and I don't have any of those tips.

I did get the problem belt to retract one time so I know that the motor does in fact work. Although it won't go back out when you open the door again. Actually I think the door was open and the belt went to the closed position.?

The thing that puzzles me right now is, what tells the control unit when to retract/ unretract when the door closes/opens? I pretty sure that it is not done by the dome light switch because I've tried it on the working side. The switch has got to be connected to that bar that slides inside of the door between the hinges, but it is hard to see in there even with the inside panel off. I don't think its a magnetic or proximity type switch either.

I'll keep plugging away because this car won't be on the road for a while as I need to do some welding on the headpipe after work sometime this week. Toni.

I found a diagram for the sholder belt system in my FSM - it is pretty simple really - there are microswitches for the rear position, front position, and lap buckle - there is a big warning that if any of those switches fails or becomes disconnected that the system will become inoperative - I MAY see if I can scan some of it tonight if you PM me, and I can email the info to you - our scanner is a bit flaky, but I'll see what I can do - I think it is the normal door switch - but I cant tell for sure the location - its definately a regular swithc though - it could be in the door latch itself (ford does that with some cars) - good luck

look in this pdf - its for an XT - but it is the same system - page 78 has the info http://mshoup.us/docs/fsm/1988%20Subaru%20XT%20Manual/Section%206/Section%206-3,%20Wiring%20Diagram%20&%20Troubleshooting.pdf

thanks mshoup for putting that fsm online - I discovered it was there a couple days ago....

:D I posted it, but Mr. Radon from XT6.net debinded his FSM and scanned it in. He should be the real person to thank. Glad to see people using it though!

Glory be I found the problem! While I was floundering around searching for the control unit underneath the glovebox, I happened to notice a male/female connector set which were very close to each other but yet were disconnected. I figured what the heck, whats the worst that could happen, blow a fuse or a component? The moment I connected it the seatbelt went into its correct position for the door being open. And now everything works great! I figured it would be something simple. Imagine how long, if ever, that it would have taken to diagnose that problem.

I'd like to thank all you guys/gals that have taken their time to help/post on this particular problem. Just the moral support alone is worth alot.

I felt a little silly after I found it because of all the other stuff I went through, but then again who could of known that a connector would have come unhooked. Its strange to because its one of those ones that have the little lock thingy on the side of it. I guess it didn't really get snapped in at the factory.

To whoever posted the pdf file, Thanx. I tried to download it but I'm on dialup and at 145 pages, I gave up after about 45 minutes. I would like to have a look at that diagram just to see how it is setup. I may, on a slow day, try it again. Thanx again, Toni.

Aw come on calebz, don't rain on my parade yet. I know never say never but, it does "seem" to be working as it should. Won't know for sure until I use the car for a time.

Its kind of ironic, the post started out looking for a plug and it ended up being a plug problem,or so it seems, that was causing the trouble. Toni.