Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car drives, dies and.....drives. Ignitor replaced!

I have had two wierd situations with my 89 GL 4WD Wagon that my mechanic doesn't understand. Guys, any help diagnosing would be appreciated!

Beased on a prior posting, I went to a junkyard and replaced the ignitor and coil but have the SAME PROBLEM. Here's what it is:

My car stranded me on the highway the other day. The engine died, I started it and it ran for 3 minutes, died again not to be started again. I could crank the engine and the battery was just fine (so I could play music waiting for the tow-truck). Dropped it off at the mechanics and the next day he started it fine. He ran the car for three hours and all seemed fine.

I drove it around town, 3-5 miles at a time no problem. But today I get on the freeway and drive 25 miles. I got out of the car at the bank and when I returned the car wouldn't start. I tried it for an hour, got towed and when I arrived into the shop 45 minutes later on the towtruck, my mechanic started the car up just fine.

What is going on with this car?? Ideas?? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:confused:

Sounds like an IC heat failure. Something electronic is failing when it gets too hot. Driving for 25 miles then parking in the sun - highest temps are reached right after shutdown. After the tow it was cool again, so started up fine.

That's my theory anyway. Probably next on the list would be the distributor itself - the crank angle sensor might be borked.

GD

Sounds like an IC heat failure. Something electronic is failing when it gets too hot. Driving for 25 miles then parking in the sun - highest temps are reached right after shutdown. After the tow it was cool again, so started up fine.

That's my theory anyway. Probably next on the list would be the distributor itself - the crank angle sensor might be borked.

GD

Does it matter if I replace my fuel injected 89GL with either the nippondenso or the hitachi distributor?? I wouldn't think so. The Hitachi is $130 and the nippondenso is $240. I am pretty sure I have the nipponsenso in there already.

Have you proved this is a ignition problem yet by checking for spark when this trouble occurs or are you just guessing it is a ignition problem? If you haven't proved the trouble is due to lack of spark I would check that out first. Carry a spare plug with you so you are ready to test when the problem occurs again.