Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, I've read about manual mode and from what I gather it only works in 3 and 2.

The problem on my daughter's car - If in one of those drive modes, the manaul light never comes on. I can't say I notice any difference in driving if in manual mode and 3, for example.

Assume it could be a burned out indicator? Is it possible for the manual mode NOT to work?

I had the tranny fluids, gasket and filter changed (the light out was there before this, too).

Is it easy to remove the instrument cluster? Or is there a foolproof way to check if manual mode is working (or not)?

:confused:

What year & model vehicle do you have?

Removing the gauge cluster isn't overly fun.

An easy way to test whether the manual mode works is to leave the car in D, from a complete stop, floor it, so the car accelerates to redline, the transmission will shift. Make note of the speed when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd. Now repeat the test, except with the gear selector in 3 & 2, and with the manual button depressed.

The acceleration should not be as good, and the vehicle speed at which the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd will be much higher then the 1st to 2nd shift.

For example, my 90 FWD AT legacy shifted at 40 mph from 1st to 2nd, 80 mph from 2nd to 3rd, etc.

What year & model vehicle do you have?

93 Legacy (it's noted in my info on the right side!)

Removing the gauge cluster isn't overly fun.

An easy way to test whether the manual mode works is to leave the car in D, from a complete stop, floor it, so the car accelerates to redline, the transmission will shift. Make note of the speed when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd. Now repeat the test, except with the gear selector in 3 & 2, and with the manual button depressed.

The acceleration should not be as good, and the vehicle speed at which the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd will be much higher then the 1st to 2nd shift.

For example, my 90 FWD AT legacy shifted at 40 mph from 1st to 2nd, 80 mph from 2nd to 3rd, etc.

OK, will try (but hard to get to 80 in this area!)

If it does NOT work, what are the things I could check (e.g. a fuse, codes, etc)?

But instead of flooring it, could I tell by generally driving from a stop? If in 2nd gear, would the car be sluggish off the line? and if in drive, wouldn't it move to second anyway, maybe at about 15 or 20 mph?

But I think it would be nice to have a "no doubt" way to check like a blown fuse (or bad indicator light)! Thanks.........

Any particular reason you need manual mode?

Simple way to check if it works: Put car in first and press in manual button. Car will hold 1st no matter how you accelerate. If it shifts, it's not in manual mode. If it is, during deceleration, you will notice that the car catches like it's a manual car riding in first without the clutch in.

Acually thats incorrect, even in manual mode the car should allow it to shift. Because the TCU is still active, i also read about this somewhere in a PDF file.
Well, it won't shift until it bounces off the rev limiter a few times. Either way, the car will act like a manual car when in manual mode.

Any particular reason you need manual mode?

Simple way to check if it works: Put car in first and press in manual button. Car will hold 1st no matter how you accelerate. If it shifts, it's not in manual mode. If it is, during deceleration, you will notice that the car catches like it's a manual car riding in first without the clutch in.

You are incorrect. The transmission will shift.

Manual mode does nothing with the gear selector in 1st gear.

93 Legacy (it's noted in my info on the right side!)

OK, will try (but hard to get to 80 in this area!)

If it does NOT work, what are the things I could check (e.g. a fuse, codes, etc)?

But instead of flooring it, could I tell by generally driving from a stop? If in 2nd gear, would the car be sluggish off the line? and if in drive, wouldn't it move to second anyway, maybe at about 15 or 20 mph?

But I think it would be nice to have a "no doubt" way to check like a blown fuse (or bad indicator light)! Thanks.........

I'd check the wiring.

You could try jumpering/grounding the manual switch pin on the TCU, to see if it works then.

You can use this information to do that

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/TCU_I-O_page1.jpg

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/TCU_I-O_page2.jpg

thx all,

I will try and tackle this weekend...

And to Manarius: not that I want manual mode, just curious about everything on the car...I like all to work....besides (a) getting all kinds of conflicting info so it seems many do NOT understand it either (B) maybe it's detramental in MPG or similar...

I will try the shifting from a stop while in manual mode 3 (versus in normal drive mode).

Will also venture to Legacy777's thoughts on wiring (if not too complicated and easy to get to)!!

Again, thanks and any new thoughts appreciated!!

my owners manual specifically states manual mode does nothing in first gear...

if in 2nd and in manual mode the car will not downshift to first no matter if your foots on teh floor or not..

to test get rolling about 20 mph till the car shifts into 2nd, push the manual button then stomp the gas.. if it does not downshift then its working, if it does then its not working..

ahhh....that could help. I can measure voltage if I can find the pin. Assuming the connector has to be connected?

In any case, is that pin I or O ?

On the page you noted, the info for B46 pin 6 is noted as "Signal (-)". Without the legend, don't know...it sounds like a signal in?

I will check....and report back.

I'd check the wiring.

You could try jumpering/grounding the manual switch pin on the TCU, to see if it works then.

You can use this information to do that

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/TCU_I-O_page1.jpg

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/TCU_I-O_page2.jpg

ahhh....that could help. I can measure voltage if I can find the pin. Assuming the connector has to be connected?

In any case, is that pin I or O ?

On the page you noted, the info for B46 pin 6 is noted as "Signal (-)". Without the legend, don't know...it sounds like a signal in?

I will check....and report back.

It would be an input to the TCU.

Look at page 321 from the following manual, and it should make sense on how things are wired up.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/1992_FSM_(Engine_%26_Electrical)/

SO I got under there and saw the tcu and wiring....doesn't seem that I can get a paperclip in there to hook a meter up to...having trouble getting the connector off as I can see the backside if the conn to see how it comes off.

But I did notice that just by the TCU there is a pair of green single pin connectors that are disconnected. One is a yellow wire, the other side is a black wire....I will see if I can see where they go...

Should it be connected? Don't want to do it yet till I know I won't screw anything up. Looks like the conns are meant for each other.

This is not the black/green conns on the other side of the steering column mean for the ecu stuff....