Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just got the clutch redone...but...

Guest mattocs

Ok...$800 for parts, instalation, plus new CV joints.

So, I got the car...went for a drive...I have to smash the clutch pedal to the floor to shift...and even then I have to press on the gas to get the car to go into a different gear. The clutch dosnt disengage when I am in gear...it will click and the pedal shakes a lot.

So I took it back...he said it is just a 'fine ajustement' that needs done on it.

I went to a local mechanic this time...the dealer has a wait of like 2 - 3 weeks to get the car in.

I hope they fix it and the clutch is working well and all...195,000 miles on the last clutch...this one better last a long while.

Guest theotherskip

it sounds like there is air in the system. it probably just needs to be bled. did the dealer do the clutch? if they did, and are now telling you that you have a 2-3 week wait to fix something they broke, you should immediately complain to the service manager. whoever did the clutch should not have given the car back to you without having it working properly...

Guest mattocs

no, not the dealer...local mechanic. I hope it gets done soon...he said he'd get it fixed sometime today.

(the 2 - 3 weeks wait is how long it would have taken to get the car into the dealer.)

The engine seems to be making different noises, too...I hope they didn't screw something with it up.

I'll keep you all posted with how it turns out and if anything else goes wrong.

Guest theotherskip

actually, it could be a cable clutch. i'm not sure when they switched over to hydraulic clutches on the legacies... either way, the clutch is not disengaging properly. if it is a cable, it needs to be adjusted properly. he should have noticed that before he gave it back to you...

Guest mattocs

I think it may be a cable clutch...there is like a cable thing in the engine compartment that I never noticed before. I will take a picture in the morning with my digital camera and someone can tell me if it was just always there and I didn't notice it.

I got the car back and he ajusted it...its easyer to shift and the clutch feels better...but in like 1st, 2nd. and 3rd gear the clutch still ticks a bit...he said its a little rubber thing that was worn out and that needs replaced...he said he'd order it from Subaru and call me when it gets in...I hope that solves the noise and stuff.

I am not used to a new clutch. I learned to drive a manual in cars that had lots of miles on the clutchs, and when my mom taugt me it was in a 2000 Ford Ranger with like 25,000 miles on the clutch...so it was broken in...today was the first time I have ever driving a car with a brand new clutch.

I'll keep you posted on it and post some pictures of the cable thing.

Guest mattocs

I am really getting pissed. So it was working decent...just the vibrating of the clutch pedal when in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear...and a chirping sound sometimes when the car is in nutral...then it got all weird.

the car vibrates a lot...the clutch is weird...its like the hill holder is always on or something...like the car wont even budge unless I am totaly off the clutch...and its really hard to shift into gear.

I am going to have my mom take it back down tomorrow to have him adjust it again and see what is up with it. I'd go down...but i'll be out of town.