Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"wind rush" noise from sunroof....

99 Legacy GT wagon: after sunroof is closed, there's a wind rush noise from the front edge of the sunroof at hiway speed. The sunroof does close all the way, but by "forcing" it forward and downward with my hand, the wind rush noise stops. The sunroof surround weatherstrip is in good condition and the roof panel glides smoothly when opening and closing.

Does anyone have an exploded view of the factory sunroof assembly? I know there's some method of adjusting the glass for a tighter fit....I think there's something that makes the motor stop the moment it senses full panel travel.....

I know some people put that little clear plastic wind/rain gaurd up there that goes just in front of the sun roof and that seems to quiet things down.

Thanks for the suggestion. I suppose that would be a good "work around" but the car didn't do this until recently. I still feel that the sunroof can be adjusted so I need to know what I'm going to adjust before I begin to remove the headliner........and yes, I know I'm in for a P.I.T.A. job.

YOu should not need to remove the headliner. At least in earlier models (92), there are two plastic strips (one on either side) that cover the nuts that hold the glass to the carriage assy. remove these strips, loosen the nuts a bit and adjust for a better fit. Tighten the nuts and replace (reinstall) the plastic. You are done.

Is the 99 a twin sunroof? I believe it is, and if its the front liftup roof that needs adjusting, you need to pull the headliner at the front of the car to get at the front hinge. Its held with two 10 mm bolts that can be loosened to slide entire sunroof a bit. There are no adjustments on the rear of the front sunroof, as there are 2 scissor type assemblies in the lift mechanism that are bolted to the glass, and connot be moved. If you need more, see the other sunroof thread on this same page. Good Luck!

Is the 99 a twin sunroof? I believe it is, and if its the front liftup roof that needs adjusting, you need to pull the headliner at the front of the car to get at the front hinge. Its held with two 10 mm bolts that can be loosened to slide entire sunroof a bit. There are no adjustments on the rear of the front sunroof, as there are 2 scissor type assemblies in the lift mechanism that are bolted to the glass, and connot be moved. If you need more, see the other sunroof thread on this same page. Good Luck!

This car is a Legacy GT, so it has the single front sunroof. Back then, the dual sunroof feature was available only on the Outback Limited. But I appreciate the info that you've offered because my wife's car is a '98 OBW Limited with the dual sunroofs....

Gnuman might have the right idea in his post above. As he suggested, I removed the plastic trim covers on both sides of the sunroof glass (inside surface) and that exposes 3 10mm nuts on each side of the glass. While I have not attempted any adjustment yet, removing the nuts allows the glass to come off of the sunroof drive. That allows me to adjust the glass, or to replace the sunroof glass surround seal (although I've yet to determine that the surround seal is even available separately)

Gnuman might have the right idea in his post above. As he suggested, I removed the plastic trim covers on both sides of the sunroof glass (inside surface) and that exposes 3 10mm nuts on each side of the glass. While I have not attempted any adjustment yet, removing the nuts allows the glass to come off of the sunroof drive. That allows me to adjust the glass, or to replace the sunroof glass surround seal (although I've yet to determine that the surround seal is even available separately)

Sadly, it is not. Bonded to the glass during manufacture. :mad::mad:

Sadly, it is not. Bonded to the glass during manufacture. :mad::mad:

Yep, found that out when I spoke to Jason at Subaru of Auburn (a.k.a. 1stsubaruparts.com).

Do you know if the "sunroof drive" that the glass bolts to is slotted to allow glass adjustment?