Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just installed an draw tite hitch from etrailer.com. Awesome experience. Ordered last Wed. morn and hitch was in my garage a little more than 48 hours later and shipping was 99 cents. Easy installation, especially with the recent advice on this forum of removing the mufflers rather than just unhooking the hangers.

Now for using it to tow. The owners manual suggest leaving the transmission in Drive rather than using the "Sportmatic" mode. I don't quite understand that thinking. Anybody know why that is the case? Second question. Does the Outback 3.0 wagon already have a transmission cooler installed or is that a part of their towing package? Dealer did not mention it as part of the installation at purchase. Just the hitch and wiring. If it is not a part of the Subaru package any thoughts or suggestions on installing one on the car.

I am towing a small boat on trailer,total weight less than a thousand pounds for both.

I don't see an auxiliary trans cooler.

Any radiator shop can install one, as can the dealer or you can buy them online - installation is simple but not fun.

The H6 has a very flat torque curve so it should tow pretty well. Does your trailer have trailer brakes? I think most states require them above 1,500 lbs but YMMV.

Boat,motor, and trailer total weight is less than 1000# so I don't have any trailer brakes. Wouldn't last long being backed into salt water regularly. I don't mind installing another cooler if needed but don't want to if not necessary. And their directive in the manual to leave it in Drive leads me to believe heat is not much of an issue with the transmission.

Thanks for the input.

Do you have a wagon or sedan?

you will definitely want a stand alone/dedicated ATF cooler.

yes your car has one now, every automatic subaru has one. they are incorporated into the radiator side tanks. very weak design and since the ATF doesn't even pass through the fins, only the side tank..and coupled with the fact that the radiator is heated by the engine coolant makes it most inefficient. an aftermarket cooler costs $30-$40 brand new. completely bypass the stock ATF routing and go with a dedicated ATF cool, it's well worth the investment.

you will definitely want a stand alone/dedicated ATF cooler.

yes your car has one now, every automatic subaru has one. they are incorporated into the radiator side tanks. very weak design and since the ATF doesn't even pass through the fins, only the side tank..and coupled with the fact that the radiator is heated by the engine coolant makes it most inefficient. an aftermarket cooler costs $30-$40 brand new. completely bypass the stock ATF routing and go with a dedicated ATF cool, it's well worth the investment.

Thanks! I'll start thinking and scheming on this project. Not towing very far, less than three hundred miles one way generally and the terrain is Eastern North Carolina so its basically flat.

Thanks! I'll start thinking and scheming on this project. Not towing very far, less than three hundred miles one way generally and the terrain is Eastern North Carolina so its basically flat.

i got news for you, 300 miles is very far as far as towing with a car goes.

not very far is three miles.

nipper

I spend up to ten hours a day doing nine miles per minute. Five thousand miles in a day.

Obviously not in a Subaru.

Speed, distance are all relative.

But yea, I am going to get supplemental cooling.

I spend up to ten hours a day doing nine miles per minute. Five thousand miles in a day.

and i thought i had good drugs......

hehehehehehehe

nipper

I second the transmission cooler recommendation. You may have noticed that etrailers sells an assortment of transmission coolers as well:

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=E&Category_Code=TRAN

They are pretty easy, though a little messy, to install yourself. Spending about $50 on a tranny cooler for peace of mind is a good idea compared to what new/rebuilt tranny might cost.

Sure that sounds goods but let's see you do that towing a boat

;)