Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats a good deal for a paint job?

Well i finally time to get my sub painted. It the legacy 93. I has rust that needs to be cut out, on the rear around where the wheel is, and the front. And a few other spots. I brought it to a paint shop he told me $3000 tops for a paint job. Does this seem reasonable for a paint job, and cutting out run. And etc and whatever else he does? And there is quite a bit of rust in the rear especially behind the plastic stuff. Thanks, just wondering if its worth it.

Might i mension im dealing Canadian currency.

that's a ton of money for a paint job, but probably about the right amount if he's doing the job right. i'd be more concerned about how they're treating that rust and if they are fixing it in mind to make it last. if that's the case then that cost may be close. cutting out metal and properly building it back for a good paint job is alot of work and custom but the best option if you want to keep the car for awhile.

a cheap paint job can be had for $500 and will do little more than cover the rust and bubble up in a year or less and start flaking off.

make sure you're not paying $3,000 for $1,500 worth of work. find out how they are tackling the rust and if they are doing this good of a job it should have some kind of warranty with it, get that information too. no matter how good it looks when it's done, there's nothing worse than paying lots of money for a paint job only to have it go sour in a year.

that's a ton of money for a paint job, but probably about the right amount if he's doing the job right. i'd be more concerned about how they're treating that rust and if they are fixing it in mind to make it last. if that's the case then that cost may be close. cutting out metal and properly building it back for a good paint job is alot of work and custom but the best option if you want to keep the car for awhile.

a cheap paint job can be had for $500 and will do little more than cover the rust and bubble up in a year or less and start flaking off.

make sure you're not paying $3,000 for $1,500 worth of work. find out how they are tackling the rust and if they are doing this good of a job it should have some kind of warranty with it, get that information too. no matter how good it looks when it's done, there's nothing worse than paying lots of money for a paint job only to have it go sour in a year.

Well there cutting out all the run in the back, and there going to change the panels on the front fenders, and get a cut out copy of the rear. ANd i never asked how many paint layers hes putting, and if theres clear coat. But he did say hes adding rust protection.

yep that sounds good if they're attacking the rust and painting it properly which it sounds like they are. i'd look and make sure the frame or rear suspension isn't rotted so bad that it might start falling apart soon before making a large investment in the paint and rust though. a board members car ended up stranded at my house because the rear wheels collapsed in and rested against the inner fender well due to rusted out underneath.

Find out the car will be sanded to the metal or just scuffed. Also ask what kind of primer is being used. An epoxy based primer will be your best bet. I would expect they will sand it down for the price. You should also ask if they sand the primer with a guide coat. The better the primer is prepared the better the top coat finish will be. I would go for two coats of clear and have it wet sanded and polished if the cost is not too high.

Here in Canada we call it a Province so Ontario! The guy from the paint shop called. He said 3 paint coats (orig colour) and 2 clear coats for $5000 TOPS. WIth every little tiny piece of rust cut out. And new plastic moulds and stuff like that, and door alignments, and 1 year guarantee and then he said go to crown rust proofing, and they will guarantee no rust for years.