Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My experience with Toyotas of the 80s and early 90s has been terrific -- only standard maintence items. I hope your RAV4 serves your well. I have a 99 Forester that's had the rear wheel bearings replaced twice in the first 59,000 miles -- this is a crying shame. Taper bearings were installed at the second replacement, and I'm now above 105K -- my fingers are crossed. Headgasket isssue is also a crying shame. That said, if you like engines and work on them, the boxer engine is something to get excited about. I must admit that I now have a weakness for them. Subaru's AWD is also tried and true -- hence you see them everywhere in places such as Vermont and Colorado.

I think that Toyota makes great utilitarian cars, and it sounds like you really get around. Good luck!

Well, I think the Subaru gives the better driving experience. To me, that's the bottom line.

That it manages to be very reliable and rugged at the same time is a BIG bonus.

Alfa Romeos are also good for driving experience, but tend to be rather fragile...

Toyota's latest recall in Europe is on the "Avensis" model. Apparently spirited driving can lead to the steering gear BREAKING and the driver losing control of the front wheels!

Give me the weak rear wheel bearings of a Subaru any day over that :burnout:

Otis, to answer your question: "Why is everyone giving this guy a hard time?"

He's getting grief over his comment:

"Frankly, with Honda coming out with an all new CRV later this year, and the new RAV4 this year, Subaru is going to be left in the dust."

He is slamming a manufacturer (in this case, Subaru) to justify his decision to purchase a different brand. It's like us going to a Jeep forum and saying that they drive crap, and Subarus are better.

All engines have valves that need to be actuated. Rubber is quieter and easier to change but needs to be changed more often. Metal is noisy, fails without warning, but generally lasts longer. Pick your poison.

Actually, timing chains USUALLY give a great deal of warning before they fail. Unlike a timing belt, timing chains become very noisey thousands of miles before they fail. While a timing chain can last up to 200,000 miles, they are generally very expensive to replace. All the cam gears, guides, tensioner and other metal parts of the chainline must be replaced along with the timing chain. Timing chains also are dependent on continuous lubrication. Timing chains can, and do, fail just like belts, turning your interference engine into a valve eater.

I think you actually made my point better than I did. :) Part of my reasoning for saying "without warning", is really based on people not knowing timing chains can and do fail, and people just thinking they never will, so they don't pay any attention to them as a maintenance item. If you don't work on cars and know what to look and listen for, then a noiser valve train on a high mileage engine is often completely overlooked until something breaks.

Ed

if you live in a very snowy area, it's probably be a better idea to get a Subaru. they're awd system is superior to Toyota. Toyotas are great vehicles, and it sounds to me like it's just his cup of tea. If he doesn't drive around in fields and mud, and he doesn't jump traintracks, or tow other vehicles out of ditches, then a yota's alright. Subarus are made for that kinda stuff. :grin: I've personally seen an '87 subie wagon with 570,000 miles on the original engine and as far as I know, it's still some old ladies daily driver.

You mean Toyota? And I bet it will hit higher than 250k.

I would take that bet. In my experience, Toyota 'quality' is largely based on the name anymore and not the product. My 1995 corolla was still under 100k and during the last three years of ownership I average $100/month in repair bills. (recently sold, thank goodness!!) My 2003 Sienna sucks down gas like it is going out of style and rattles like a car from the 70's.

They made their name years ago and are resting on their laurels today. Just like Mercedes and BMW. When my van dies (and I do not expect it to take very long), it will be a Subaru that takes its place.

mikkl

Otis, to answer your question: "Why is everyone giving this guy a hard time?"

He's getting grief over his comment:

"Frankly, with Honda coming out with an all new CRV later this year, and the new RAV4 this year, Subaru is going to be left in the dust."

He is slamming a manufacturer (in this case, Subaru) to justify his decision to purchase a different brand. It's like us going to a Jeep forum and saying that they drive crap, and Subarus are better.

He doesn't have to justify his purchase, it's his cash and he can purchase whatever he likes with it. Until we see the sales figures next year, nobody can really say who is going to be left in the dust. With new designs usually come all new features that the consumer may take a liking to and Subaru may have to incorporate them into their redesign to stay with the market trends. Time will tell. :D

as I appear out of the Older Gen forum...My fiance has a 2001 Toyota truck..its a great truck honestly...but I personally find it uncomfortable...a gas hog..rides terrible..noisy..but it has 140,000 on it and basically it has been dependable to him...he is a carpenter who puts on average 75-100+ miles a day. But it has been expensive to repair..I can pull out the reciept for the sensor repairs last year....has about 5-6 sensors go bad..$2000+ at the dealer ...he refused to let me look into it ..he is puter guy I am car girl.

I have looked at the Rav4 and it isnt bad ...but I cant see spending that kind of money...I will personally stick to my non-interference,low compression,80 hp...43+ mpg EA82..cheap,easy to repair..OH and mine is just shy of 200,000 miles..mechanically solid (motor)..would drive it cross country.

I will personally stick to my non-interference,low compression,80 hp...43+ mpg EA82..cheap,easy to repair..OH and mine is just shy of 200,000 miles..mechanically solid (motor)..woyuld drive it cross country.

It's funny how timing can be so dramatic. As I was reading your post, the TV was reporting on another surge in crude oil prices--which may push pump prices to $4 a gallon.

You may be the smartest person here, Bucky92!

After 8 years and 249,000 miles, I walked away from my 1998 Forester and purchased a new RAV4 4cyl AWD. The old girl just became too unreliable and expensive to maintain, (not surprising at that mileage), and after looking at Subes and Hondas, as well as Toyotas, the RAV4 was just a head above the others. Plusses: No more timing belt worries, a lot more interior room, comfortable seats, similar performance to my Forester, and did I mention no timing belt? Just went through my first tank of gas and averaged 27.7 MPG with a mix of two lane rural roads, and light city traffic.

Frankly, with Honda coming out with an all new CRV later this year, and the new RAV4 this year, Subaru is going to be left in the dust.

You shouldn't feel bad at all - New England women buy all the cute utes in droves.