Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Installaton q's

OK... so maybe I'm an idiot, or maybe my friends are, but here goes...

Picked up an engine from Monstaru (many thanks bro, happy as a clam).

Got it home, cleaned it a bit, tightened up oilpan bolts, etc, gave it the ol' heave-ho with a few of the boys and got it into the engine bay. I'll be damned if the motor mounts will line up with the crossmember. There's still an inch gap tween the bellhousing and the tranny, and the bolts are already half an inch behind the holes in the 'member... so it adds up to being nowhere in the vicinity of where it needs to be. I've eyeballed the old mounts that came off the old engine, they're the same way, and turning em around won't work either, just won't bolt up right. Any ideas? The tranny crossmember, to the best of my knowledge, so the tranny shouldn't be shoved back at all (not to mention the rear driveshaft is still there). Any ideas? I'm kinda stumped, but if I have to, I'll drill new holes just to get this damn thing in, landlords about ready to have it towed :dead:. So anyhow... if anyone's seen weird stuff like this before, advice is greatly welcome. I'll be checkin here in about 5 hours when I get up, and I'll be wrenching on this beast all day sat/sun/monday. If you've the inclination, gimme a holler, 509-244-9816, ask for chris. Thanks.

Chris

What engine and what vehicle would help. I would vote for the tranny having been shoved back; your reasoning for this not happening is a little unclear from your post. Not uncommon for old tranny mounts to give way, and the driveshaft has splines to allow for fore/aft issues.

Anyways, I would work to get the input shaft/clutch splines to mesh, suck the tranny and engine together, and then see where you are. This is all a little easier with an engine hoist and jack under the tranny, but it sounds like you are missing the hoist at least. Once the engine and tranny are bolted together it should be easier to get the motor mounts to line up with the crossmember. I don't even bother thinking about motor mount bolts until then.

Have faith.

Oh... hehe:P yeah... 83 GL wagon and EA81. It finally went in, went out at dawn this morning and started playing with it, got it to suck in. I had to pound the motor mounts into place using a long wrench and the BFH, but they went... evidently the rubber was a little bent out of whack for whatever reason, but it's in.

So now a new question. All the wires, hookups, and sensors and whatnot on the intake... are those purely necessary? I'm not incredibly worried about gas mileage, I just want a simple hookup. Plus I forgot to label which plug went where when I removed the engine way back when, so it's completely a mess. If I can get away without the majority of them, that'd be great. Thanks a ton.

Chris

Necessary...hmmm... depends on whom you ask.

But the practical answer is: Don't remove/leave off anything that you don't know what it does. All of the electrical connectors should be easy (or at least easier than it it seems). Subaru is pretty good at using unique connectors, so that each connector only has one mate. As far as hoses, it depends on what/how much you took apart. You should only have things like fuel supply and return, and vapor canister, and maybe one or two vacuum lines.

If it's an EA81 with a feedback carb (sounds like it if it has a legion of connectors) then unfortunately there is nothing quite so complex in all the land. Vacuum hoses, wireing, strange do-hickery abound. The polls say rip it off and put on a Weber (or SPFI like I just did :)).

Seriously though - the wireing at least - as NW pointed out - should all mate up without much work. The length of the wires, how they are perma-bent, and the connector should make it all pretty obvious. The vacuum hoses are less obvious, but start by looking on the chart under the hood if it's still there. After that I'm told it's best to LEARN what the bit in question does, what it should be hooked to, and if all else fails, re-route around the hard lines so you are 100% sure of where the vacuum lines are routing.

GD

sweet... I like the idea of a weber, however, I'm seriously considering busting out a mig welder and some sheet metal and fabbing an adapter for a holley 450cfm 2barrel... have to do the math of what the engine sucks at 6k rpm, but that seems to be about right. plus rebuilds on em are easy, and they're fairly simple carbs... choke cable, vaccuum secondary, and a throttle cable. None of this evil spaghetti of wire.

One last quick question: The disty from the blown motor won't fit in the new one to save my life. I checked it in the old block, it was peachy... but I punched it a few times to get it about an eighth an inch into the new block, and then I couldn't get it out... would it be alright to take some plumbers sandpaper (the cloth-backed flexible strips) and sand a bit off the shaft? be damned if I can see the difference, but it's really small and shouldn't take long. Don't think it should mess anything up, as long as I don't knock it out of true and wear the disty gear out. otherwise I'm gonna take the ol' propane torch and heat the disty bore up a bit to expand it enough to get it in there... then I'll never get the damn thing out. This is a complete redneck engine installation, don't even have a manual, so bear with the seat-of-my-britches flying here:P just wait till i do wheel bearings:)

One last quick question: The disty from the blown motor won't fit in the new one to save my life. I checked it in the old block, it was peachy... but I punched it a few times to get it about an eighth an inch into the new block, and then I couldn't get it out... would it be alright to take some plumbers sandpaper (the cloth-backed flexible strips) and sand a bit off the shaft? :)

I had to do that. Just make sure you wipe off the grit before you install it.

Would you? that'd be kickarse... Particular areas I'm needing are all the various wires floating around behind the carb, and then a small wiring diagram of the whole ignition system, as I didn't handle that, and there are no wires remaining. Not sure how the hell to align the timing, but I'll be looking on here for a how-to dealie. Just need to find the firing order, and then figure out TDC and all that whatnot. Can't be too hard, eh? Anyway, many thanks.

Chris

too bad you're not closer to me. I just did a couple EA81s recently and one was a feedback carb. Did you swap intakes from the old engine to the new one? If not, you're in a world of hurt cause the computer for the feedback carb is going to go nuts and it won't run right. I swapped intakes from the old engine (bad rod bearing) to a 83k EA81 which had a regular Hitachi on it. Runs like a champ! Let me know if you need pics and "Where does this &^%$&^^%&^ go???" answered and I'll be all ears;)

Well... if you've got a chiltons/hayes and feel like scanning/relating the section on setting up timing... never messed around with it before:P I understand about having the marks on the flywheel lined up properly with the little pointer gidget, and having the disty set a certain way (which, if it's currently in wrong, then I'll have to figure out how to fix it, because that disty is never coming out of the motor. Half an hour with a framing hammer and a great big punch on the tab hanging off the side) but beyond that I haven't the foggiest notion:P Gonna go look for a manual here shortly, but this is a low-budget jobbie. Beyond that... the coil setup, my friend ripped the whole dealie off, haven't the foggiest idea what I'm doin there either. He doesn't remember what went where (a bit dense, I guess). All I need is the 'xxx color wire goes from terminal x to terminal y' etc etc:P anywhere that might be hidden on this board? checking the USRM or whatever it's called right now.

sorry i got busy today and didnt have time to take the pic's but i got it on the things that "NEED'S" TO GET DONE NOW" list

:grin:

ryry

so vacum for the carb and wires to the coil is that all

(the camera is only 1.3MP but it works preaty good)

I got the vaccuum nonsense figured out... used that handy dandy little diagram on the underside of the hood... I had to scrape the mud/road crap off with paint thinner to see it though, no wonder I'd never seen it before. Amazing what a hard thrash off road will put up there. Anyway, yeah, coil/ignition in general would be grand. If anyone knows the firing order, that'd be peachy too. What I'm really after, and would save me a huge amount of hassle at the library, is the whole sequence for getting the disty set. Aka... line this gidget with this gidget, unbolt this, turn, make sure this is that way, etc... keep in mind that disty is not in any way coming out of that block. It's just in there, so I may have to find a way to turn the disty shaft itself without screwing with the gear. That's the only real major thing that I have to do, then the engine will run, and I can't for the life of me figure it out. I can usually redneck most things, but with this, I haven't the foggiest as to where to even begin, other than the timing marks on the flywheel (dead giveaway, huh). Anyway, thanks in advance on the pics.

ok i took some pics but i see im to late but i got a shot of "my" coil (hope it will work for yours) i have a book but i havent seen it in over a year i'll look for it right after i upload this pic (i hope it works last the couple of times i tried this it failed)

post-19761-136027616879_thumb.jpg

Dude... you're my hero. I'll go see what I can do with that. Thanks a ton.

One minor question... is there a way to simply rotate the disty head (the bit inside that spins) without having to remove the whole disty? It's jammed so tightly in there I'd need a hi-lift jack and some real creativity to get it out... but if I can rotate the arm independent of the gear, then I'm in business. Thanks a ton.

uhhh no can you twist it left or right? have you tryed to use vice grips to twist it

becarefull not to crimp it too hard as you might do alot of harm

im going back truck driving on the 22 of this month is thier any other pic you need

from my car or out of the book ????

ryry

Then I guess it's time to bust out the hi-lift jack and a whole lotta patience:P because I'm quite sure it's way off. Thanks a ton, I just wanna get this thing running, because I'm snagging an 85 EA82 wagon tomorrow, and I'll be ditching this one... kinda hard to get rid of it when it's dead, though.