Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think the scoop is fake on the 98 (and others?) Legacy GT. I think under/behind the scoop it's just a dummy panel...

If so, is there anything that can be done to make the scoop perform a function like cooling assist, more air intake, etc?

I read the 2.5's phase 1 have the head gasket problem so was wondering if there could be any help in that area by doing something with that scoop...

<edit>

Reading similar threads, seems like there is nothing...surprising someone hasn't been able to come up with a hose kit/filter that can reroute the air "somewhere"!! </edit>

I removed the "dummy panel" (Which is actually designed to allow a small amount of air through a couple channels that keep water, etc, off of your throttle body. I had a 98 GT and took the panel out and replaced with expanded steel (see stucco supplies, home depot) allowing a lot more air flow into my engine bay. The expanded steel was there to keep major debris etc out of there. It kept it a few degrees cooler. I'm sure if you were going to use a short ram intake or something (filter very close to the TB) that it would be beneficial to remove the panel.

. nobeermd.thumb.gif

Sorry, couldn't find any pics of it

jasinwa,

You openly admit that you "don't know much about these cars" .... so until you do .....don't mess with "the scoop into a filter into something". The Subaru techs spent lots of design dollars and track testing perfecting the snorkle intake for your car. Anything that you do without having done more than a little homework can only hurt the performance of your car. There are cold air intake systems out there, just be sure to study them well before you jump in. But, you have the right idea on asking in this forum. The people here are terrific, and the knowledge that you'll gain will only make your Subie ownership more enjoyable. There are all kinds of tricks to learn. Good Luck!

I don't think this is hi-jacking.. but I've been meaning to ask this of the board:

Since everyone keeps asking "Can we make that fake scoop on the GT functional?" ... Would it be possible and have any point to stick an intercooler in there.. and install a short ram and have your intake intercooled even though you don't have a turbo?? or would that create some sort of lag?? I don't have my GT anymore so I can't test it out.:-\

jasinwa,

But, you have the right idea on asking in this forum. The people here are terrific, and the knowledge that you'll gain will only make your Subie ownership more enjoyable. There are all kinds of tricks to learn. Good Luck!

yup, wouldn't do anything at this time without knowing it's been done with success!! Still have to buy the car!...but I do have my duaghter's 93 Leg LS to play with :eek:

@ subrat84 - I don't think it's hj either....right up the alley for my question anyway!

Would it be possible and have any point to stick an intercooler in there.. and install a short ram and have your intake intercooled even though you don't have a turbo??

Would it be possible? Sure, anything is possible, given enough money.

Is there any point to doing this? Absolutely none. The reason intercoolers exist is to remove heat generated by compressing the intake air. No turbo, no heat. All that doing this would accomplish is add further maintenance complications and flow restrictions you don't need.

The reason intercoolers exist is to remove heat generated by compressing the intake air. No turbo, no heat.

What about when your ambient air temp is ~115 degrees? It seems to me that would be like saying a Cold Air Intake is just a waste of time? Isn't colder air more beneficial? I don't know how effective an intercooler is.. but it seems to me like if I could drop my air temp 20 or 30 degrees before it hits my throttle body that would be good?

I don't think an IC will do you any good when ambient temp.s are ~115F. On a turbo, the IC would work to bring the compressed air back down closer to ~115F. So, if there is no turbo and no compression ( = hotter than ambient air ), the IC would not reduce the temp. at all unless you put ice on the IC.

Prehaps using an AC core somehow to provide cooling to intake air with some kind of InterCooler, you could reduce the intake temp.s a good bit.

But this is all a little off-topic from fake hood scoops (now we're talking about fake intercoolers! :rolleyes: ) I do have a question on-topic, however. I was thinking about the Gen. 1 Legacy Turbo models which were the first to come with a hood scoop. These models came with Air-Water IC's and had no use for a hood scoop. What's with that anyways, Subaru just randomly decided to start faking car buyers out?

What about when your ambient air temp is ~115 degrees? It seems to me that would be like saying a Cold Air Intake is just a waste of time? Isn't colder air more beneficial? I don't know how effective an intercooler is.. but it seems to me like if I could drop my air temp 20 or 30 degrees before it hits my throttle body that would be good?

ambiant may be 115 degrees, but under the hood can be 180 degrees.

You can actually screw things up by opening up that scoop. The scoop is low enough so it doesnt make a lot of drag.. Opening it up can mess with the high pressure pocket at the base of the windsheild. this pocket brings air into the car. Also opening the scoop will bring weather into the engine compartment. If you look at all properly desigend scoops, they are sealed so that weather (rain snow) does not get under the hood. Also the y are designed for optimal air management. You can possibly also increase wind noise. It is also possible you can raise the temp under the hood by interupting the air flow under the hood. The air flow around the enigne is now more engineered than it used to be. There was a time when opening hood scoops made sense, now you may interupt the air flow around the radiator. I can see where it would speed up the air flow, (highway speed), and impeede it (low speed).

These cars have been around with scoops for many years with no problem.

I think the scoop is fake on the 98 (and others?) Legacy GT. I think under/behind the scoop it's just a dummy panel...

If so, is there anything that can be done to make the scoop perform a function like cooling assist, more air intake, etc?

I read the 2.5's phase 1 have the head gasket problem so was wondering if there could be any help in that area by doing something with that scoop...

<edit>

Reading similar threads, seems like there is nothing...surprising someone hasn't been able to come up with a hose kit/filter that can reroute the air "somewhere"!! </edit>

HG issues has to do with an air pocket in the engine cooling system.

Air intake is already designed as a cold air system, since it takes its air under the fender, not under the hood.

nipper

I don't think an IC will do you any good when ambient temp.s are ~115F. On a turbo, the IC would work to bring the compressed air back down closer to ~115F. So, if there is no turbo and no compression ( = hotter than ambient air ), the IC would not reduce the temp. at all unless you put ice on the IC.

Prehaps using an AC core somehow to provide cooling to intake air with some kind of InterCooler, you could reduce the intake temp.s a good bit.

But this is all a little off-topic from fake hood scoops (now we're talking about fake intercoolers! :rolleyes: ) I do have a question on-topic, however. I was thinking about the Gen. 1 Legacy Turbo models which were the first to come with a hood scoop. These models came with Air-Water IC's and had no use for a hood scoop. What's with that anyways, Subaru just randomly decided to start faking car buyers out?

Actually, the Gen 1 Legacy sports sedan has a "functional" hood scoop and allows air to be "pushed" over the turbo. At least my 91 Legacy sports sedan is that way. I think most if not all turbo Subaru's have a funtional air scoop. I do agree however, that fake hood scoops on other Subaru's a waste.

Mike

Actually, the Gen 1 Legacy sports sedan has a "functional" hood scoop and allows air to be "pushed" over the turbo. At least my 91 Legacy sports sedan is that way. I think most if not all turbo Subaru's have a funtional air scoop. I do agree however, that fake hood scoops on other Subaru's a waste.

Mike

like i said, if the car was designed for the scoop, its fine, its doing its job, and the 91 turbo was engineered that way. The discussion is about a 2nd generation NA legacy, or did it shift gears on me.

nipper

I've got a 98 GT. I was thinking of storing my spare head gaskets in there. I've also been thinking of put a toaster oven door on the front of it so I can cook while I drive. J/K :D With a N/A car an intercooler doesn't make sense as stated above. The temp difference while driving down the road probably wouldn't be that much different. If you want to try an experiment, buy or borrow a digital temp meter and stick a thermocouple on the bottom of the hood and one in the cowl area and see what the difference is. Or just use a regular thermometer.