Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi all, first post here...

So I don't own a Scooby, but my girlfriend does and i'd like to play the role of the know-it-all boyfriend and fix her stereo.

She put a brand new iPod cassette adapter into her tape deck (stock stereo) and it jammed. It won't eject, and now none of the radio functions work. I'd like to pull apart the dash, pull out the radio, then take that apart to extract the cassette...

I'm relatively handy, but am stumped as to how to begin disassembly. I pulled the ashtray and cupholders out, which revealed 2 screws. once I removed the cupholder assembly i could get no further.

She's away at work for the enxt few hours so I'd really like to surprise her with a quick fix.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

TIA!

i'm not sure about your car but if it comes apart the same as a 90 then their are 2 screws behind the cup holder and 2 under where the ashtray is. i used a philips head bit and put it in a socket to get them loose. then you should see the radio screws.

didn't see the 2 where the ashtray is but I'll look again.

Would definitely need to use a socket in there as I can't imagine there's enough space to turn a screwdriver with the automatic shifter in the way.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes...

Eh? It should be possible to remove the radio without dismantling the dashboard....usually the radio is "locked" with a small spring action clip down either side. Slide a small screwdriver in there and see if you can edge the radio out.
You gotta get the front facia off first. It surrounds the sides of the radio.