Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$1300 too much for a viscous coupling replacement?

Hello. I am new here.

First of I want to say thanks for the wealth of information here, I've done some research and some searching and I've figured out that my 1999 Impreza Outback (5-speed) has a viscous coupling that is failing. I usually do my own work on the car but here recently I've been pressed for time (and I'm probably not competent enough to pull apart the AWD system) so I decided to bite the bullet and take it buy the Subaru dealership (no where else in town could do this particular repair). I did my research before hand (online) it seemed the going price for this repair was generally in the $800 neighborhood. However the Subie dealer quoted me $1300-1400 for the repair, actually two of them did.

Am I missing something, or do I just have to go on and bite the bullet?

Thanks

Hello. I am new here.

First of I want to say thanks for the wealth of information here, I've done some research and some searching and I've figured out that my 1999 Impreza Outback (5-speed) has a viscous coupling that is failing. I usually do my own work on the car but here recently I've been pressed for time (and I'm probably not competent enough to pull apart the AWD system) so I decided to bite the bullet and take it buy the Subaru dealership (no where else in town could do this particular repair). I did my research before hand (online) it seemed the going price for this repair was generally in the $800 neighborhood. However the Subie dealer quoted me $1300-1400 for the repair, actually two of them did.

Am I missing something, or do I just have to go on and bite the bullet?

Thanks

I was thinking the PART was about $800?

I dunno.

Recently, someone posted success at 'fixing' a VC by driving figure 8s and tight circles in reverse!.

Carl

I dunno.

Recently, someone posted success at 'fixing' a VC by driving figure 8s and tight circles in reverse!.

Carl

I believe all the nesscery parts are under $500. Prices for labor vary a lot. I live outside DC and when I end up paying people to do work it ends up being a lot more then many people on here talk about. Let us know how it works out. I may be needing this done sometime myself, every so often I get a little binding when turning slowly but then I don't feel it for a while.

I dunno.

Carl

Hmm ... according to what I've been finding the part has been $470 - $530 depending on year of the car/source of the part but I could be wrong too. I should probably ask the dealer how much the part is of the $1300 estimate. ;-)

Yes I saw the post by the guy who did the figure 8s as well. Pretty outrageous if you ask me. Maybe it just burned his VC out so it doesn't work/clunk anymore. ;)

go to an independent shop (this is something they can do). Depending upon what they are replacing it may be a good price, or it may be high. My auto clutchpack cost 875.00 and i think the VC should be about the same price. My gut is that it is too high.

nipper

WAAAAAAAAY TOOOOO MUCH!

I was fortunate enough to score a 1998 Legacy L wagon for 2000 that had torque bind as the only problem. Obviously the fix was a VC.

Also the turning in figure 8's only works on an automatic

First off you can get the VC from Jason at Auburn Subaru 1 866 528 5282

for about 460 dollars. Be sure to get the extension housing gasket that goes with it for about 2 dollars.

The repair is actually fairly simple if you are mechanically inclined.

Drain Transmission

Pull off Exhaust

Pull off Heat Shield

Pull off Drive Shaft

Disconnect Shift mechanism and Transmission bracket

Tilt Transmission down

Remove Extension Housing from back of Transmission

Replace VC

Repeat in Reverse.

The VC literally pops right in and in not a complicated thing to do. Luckily you dont have to actually do any transmission work.

I was fortunate enough to Have Gnuman from this forum help me out and got the whole thing done for about 700 dollars and now my car turns like a dream.

You can ask Gnuman as he is on this f0rum quite a bit if you want more detail. I would remommend getting the part yourself and find a local shop with some soobie knowledge. Should only take about 4 hours labor. Also be sure that the old seal on the extension housing is fully cleaned off before you put the new gasket on.

Smitty