Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel and Coolant Question

I just picked up a '02 OBW (5spd), but haven't received the original owners manual yet ( on order ). I was able to find out most of the info I need, (oil, filter,etc) from here or the web, however I have two other questions.

What type of fuel is required? I heard the manual states 89 octane? Do many people just use 87, as long as it doesn't ping too much?

Secondly, as far as I can tell I have the traditional green coolant. Where these models equipped with dex-cool, or the other "hybrid" type coolant? I guess I should just use what I have now.

Any other tips? Thanks for the help in advance.

--Nick

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

My '03 H6 3.0 OBW's manual says 91 octane but 87 can be used if necessary. I did run 2-3 tanks of 87 and heard no pinging. But I have moved to midgrade as a compromise to MAYBE get a little better mileage and performance. You don't say which engine you have but I think the 4 recommends 87. Someone else will respond I guess. I haven't looked at my coolant but I thought I read that it would not be 'regular' due to the use of aluminum radiator.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest Legacy777

Nick,

All the normal aspirated 2.5 liters will use 87 octane.

The only subies that require premium are the H6's and the turbos.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pjsemmer

The normally aspirated 2.5 liter 4-cylinder engines come equipped with a knock sensor (at least, in '99 they did) so no matter what octane fuel is used, no pinging would be heard, since the ECU will retard the timing if pre-ignition were detected.

I would tend to think that all Subaru engines (at least the newer ones), especially turbocharged ones, come equipped with a knock sensor. In a higher output engine (turbo) with a knock sensor, you could use lower octane fuel without the danger of pre-ignition, but you would experience a loss in power due to the ECU retarding the timing.

So unless the engine is tuned for high performance, it should run well on 87 octane.

Paul

'99 Outback Wagon

'90 Mazda MX-6 GT (2.2 liter turbo, 5-speed)

Thanks for the replies. 87 is working out just great.

Now I just have to take it down to get this darn cold clutch chatter taken care of..

--Nick

Guest mrtoyou7747

I had a '98 Maxima that required 91 but it ran quite well on 87 EXCEPT: The mileage was a little worse and I did notice a perfromance difference with the 87. The difference in mileage and performance was enough for me to keep using the 91.