Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well my good friend hayden wont shut up. All i hear whenever i say Subaru is "oh matt has got this sweet as 1997 Legacy twin turbo, its so fast man!!...etc etc". From what i know it is a JDM EJ20tt with little or no modification. Its also autospastic and knowing this matt fellah it will be written off in a matter of weeks as were his last 2 legacies.

The one thing bothering me is hayden's claim the vehicle puts out 260Horsepower. Now i Know my old mans 1.9liter Volvo high pressure turbo puts out 200hp at the crank, has subaru performed a miracle on the EJ20tt or am i hearing lies?

Whilst on the Subject, how many ponies would an N/A EJ25 put out? In fact has anyone got a list of all the motors and their outputs? Ive seen the one listing EA series motors on this site but it doesnt list any of the newer stuff.

Thanks for any replies!

The early EJ20TTs put out around 220hp at the engine, the idea of the twin turbo is not more horsepower, but power over a broader range. One of the turbos is a low end power turbo the other is for high end power, as the one is peaking out, the other starts coming into play, thus giving a broader power range. The EJ20G that is in the early Legacy (Liberty) and WRX models gave horse pwoer ranging from 220hp to 275hp. I believe that the horse power increase when they stared using the EJ20K and EJ205 engines for the twin turbo models, I believe that started around 1997, so it is possible for a 97 to have 260hp.

Also, through modifications, it is not impossible to get over 400hp at the wheel with an EJ20 series turbo engine.

The newer N/A EJ25 SOHC are getting about 170 hp to the flywheel I believe.

That's the normally aspirated 2.5l engine in 2000-2004 Outbacks and Legacys?

FWIW my H6 put 172hp to the wheels on a dyno. The 2.5 turbos put out about 200whp.