Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Black box under pass side rear ????

When i was under the car today looking for the diff vent and trying to stop my stupid heat shield rattle, I saw a black box in the very back pass side under the car. After inspection I noticed all the rubber hoses are starting to dry out and crack. What is this box, logic tells me that it would be something to do with the fuel system. I couldn't tell where the hoses ran to, so I am not clear on what the hell this thing is. 2nd, should I replace these hoses, any special procedures??

The black box with all the rubber hoses is usually part of the evaporative emissions system. It stores the fuel vapors to be burned off later, instead of allowing them to escape into the environment. It is the same as the "charcoal canister," I think.

I don't think you need to worry about it unless you get a check engine light, but if you want to keep the car in perfect shape, go ahead and replace them.

matt

You may get a check engine light if any of the hoses leak. I had that problem on my last truck (Dodge Dakota). Truck still ran fine, the CEL just annoyed me! Sometimes if they are just cracked or frayed around the edges, you can just cut a little off the ends of the hoses and reattach. Hope this helps you!

Spacinjason

'06 Baja Turbo MT:burnout: