Ultimate Subaru Message Board

im looking at upgrading my rotors to something better, but not bigger.. the only prob is that everything im finding that isnt a "stock" replacement is for 95 and newer. so here is the q... can i use 95+ legacy rotors on a 90 legacy without running into problems with fitment????

I THINK there is some discussion about rotors in the 'technical/white papers' at www.stoptech.com .

Also, the brake forum at www.nasioc.com might be good to search through.

And I also have read that, for most of us, plain or slotted rotors are prefered to cross drilled.

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what I have found. I have a 99 leg gt wagon. The front rotors are causing a shudder in the steering wheel under brake on the highway.

I initially thought it was the bracket slide pins because one was seized and the other very stiff. Called Hal's in SC (Subaru yard) and had them send a drivers side bracket. Installed it and it heald the caliper out and about a .25 inch of the pad was off the rotor. i.e. it appered to be from a car with a larger rotor. To solve the problem I called TireRack to check on brembo oem rotors. Asked them to check the diameters of the rotors. For a 99 they found 10.2" on gt and legacy. 10.7" for the outback! (I had not measured mine) Called Hal's back and asked them to double check the year, model and diameter of rotor the original bracket can from. He told me 98 outback and the rotor was 10.7" diameter. So I had them send me the calipers, and the other bracket. Then called back tirerack and ordered the 10.7" brembo oem's. (Also got the stainless lines)

I will let you know how it goes when I install.

Mike

There are two main sizes of front rotors on the 90+ subies. the single pot calipers meant to fit under the 14" wheels, and the two pot calipers meant to fit under 15" wheels. Later in the game, there were 16" ones, but I believe they are the same as the 02 wrx's.

There are two main sizes of front rotors on the 90+ subies. the single pot calipers meant to fit under the 14" wheels, and the two pot calipers meant to fit under 15" wheels. Later in the game, there were 16" ones, but I believe they are the same as the 02 wrx's.

You talking about rotors or calipers?? Guess I dont understand?

90 through 94' all NA's had 10.2" vented fronts and 10.5" solid rears. These fit under 14's and are single piston. The wagon's have a different rear caliper that is exactly the same except the piston has ~9% increased area.

The SS's had 10.7" vented fronts and 10.5" vented rears. The front caliper is twin piston and the rear caliper is meant to go around the vented disc but has the same area as the NA wagon caliper.

95' through 99 (where my knowledge starts slipping) all NA Legacy's had 10.2" vented fronts and 10.5" solid rears (except though random ones with drums, I'm sorry). The Outbacks had 10.7" vented fronts, twin piston, and 10.5" solid rears, with the larger piston. The Legacy GT's had the same setup as the Outbacks.

The 10.7" require 15's to clear and then some of the WRX stuff requires 16's but I'm not as versed.

And more pistons increases pedal feel, total areas and other factors equal (not usually)

^^^ Upgrading the rears to the early SS would be an upgrade. You'll also gain an advantage by upgrading to cryotreated rotors and running a little 'hotter' pad. Running slotted rotors, eh, maybe marginal benifit. But cryotreating would be the way to go.

What type of rotor would you consider to be better, but not bigger? I don't get it.:confused:

The difference between an OEM or Brembo blank and some fancy slotted rotor is questionable at best. OEM rotors, good pads, good fluid, and well maintained calipers are really all you need to do unless you're tracking the car or something. Also be sure to properly torque lug nuts as it keeps the rotors straight.

The other brakes not mentioned:

00-04 Legacies have 10.7" 2-pot front and 11.4" solid rear brakes. They use the same rear calipers as other cars but a larger bracket.

The 98-01 Impreza 2.5RS had 10.7" front and 10.5" rear brakes.

02 WRX has 11.5" front brakes, which use the same 2-piston caliper as the other Subarus but a larger bracket. The bracket design and caliper changed sometime in 03 but the size stayed the same. 02-05 WRX rear brakes are still 10.5" solid discs.

06 WRX has 11.5" front discs but 4-piston calipers, which don't fit under 16x6.5" Subaru wheels. The rear brakes are 11.4" vented and use a two piston rear caliper that doesn't bolt up to other cars.

05+ LGT has the same rear rotors as an 06 WRX, but a single piston caliper, and that bracket will bolt up to other cars. Front brakes are 12.something inches with 2-pot calipers.

And there are also the brembos on the STi. Front calipers bolt up but only 04 rotors work. Rears, like the 2-pot, don't bolt up to other cars. There are expensive adapters available though.

Is it wierd that I know all this off the top of my head?

The difference between an OEM or Brembo blank and some fancy slotted rotor is questionable at best. OEM rotors, good pads, good fluid, and well maintained calipers are really all you need to do unless you're tracking the car or something.

That was my understanding as well. To get a noticeable difference, a change of calipers and/or rotors and perhaps even the master cylinder is usually required.

I just got done installing PBR Metal Masters plus (non-slotted/drilled) Brembo discs all around on my 99 Legacy GT.

:banana:

I think it may be the best money I've ever spend on a car. I hated the brakes before- mushy pedal, not a lot of power. Granted, the old ones weren't looking or sounding very good, but my car went from mediocre brakes to having some of the best I've ever used, better than my Dad's M5. Lots of power, feel, and modulation- I'm very pleased. My driving is spirited at times, but normally I just want to be able to dodge the local wildlife if the need arises, and these seem to be great for both.

Got them from http://www.autohausaz.com/. $250 for everything, free shipping, ordered Friday had them Monday. Was very pleased buying from them.