Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 DOHC heads on a 2.5 SOHC block?

FSRBIKER

I am asking since the wiring swap to install the 2.5 SOHC(2002 RS) engine/harness/ECU I have I think is too much for me to handle but swapping my heads onto the newer block should get me back on the road.

FYI: I have a 97 Legacy Outback with the 2.5 DOHC

The heads will bolt on fine. The dohc heads have a smaller combustion chamber, this will raise your compresion ratio. I dont know what the sohc head cc is but the dohc is 46.6cc. The cam signal should work also. You should be able to correct the compresion ratio with thicker headgaskets, cometic makes good ones.

It will work. The only difference is the coolant passages of the 2.5 DOHC heads are slightly larger than the sohc block. You will need to use the gaskets for the DOHC heads to make sure that you do not create interference when you put everything together.

Good luck!!

sounds like a HOT NA combo. DOHC flow, compression out the rump roast, should be pushing 200hp with a good exhaust and some cams.

SOHC heads are 50cc.

CR calculation, just because I am bored. all #'s taken from ejcalcs

http://wac.addr.com/auto/obs/turbo/ejcalcs.html

with thin gaskets:

616+46+4.5+6=672.5cc@BDC

46+4.5+6=56.5cc @TDC

11.9:1:eek: :eek:

with thick gaskets:

616+46+11.8+6=679.8cc@BDC

46+11.8+6@TDC=63.8

10.65:1 a little safer... but where's the fun in that

i ran your CR and got about 9.8:1 with the phase I ej25 heads. with the 50 cc phase II heads it goes down to 9.3:1. i know the phase I is supposed to have a 9.6:1 CR, but i think some of my numbers are off, thanks to ejcalcs. but you can bet that the new heads and dohc gasket will reduce your CR by about 0.5 so your looking at about 9.1:1 - 9.2:1 or so is a safe bet. which isnt too high for turbo. but not the ideal CR for turbo.

~Josh~

I am asking since the wiring swap to install the 2.5 SOHC(2002 RS) engine/harness/ECU I have I think is too much for me to handle but swapping my heads onto the newer block should get me back on the road.

FYI: I have a 97 Legacy Outback with the 2.5 DOHC

The heads are a direct bolt on.

The block for a 99 DOHC is EXACTLY the same as a 00 SOHC.