Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kilroy,

You asked:

Last Monday I placed an order for about $300 worth of parts for a timing belt/water pump job. As I was to be passing through CT on Wednesday, I decided to stop in and pick up the order. When I got there I was told the entire order was there. On checking it, I found a rear timing belt cover was missing. With surprise I get the “OH” let me check, then the “OH” it didn’t come in I guess we will have to wait till tomorrow (Thursday). So now I have to put finishing up the work till Friday, they get it Thursday, ship it and I get Friday. So I wait, calling on Thursday to verify the part was in. Yes and they will ship out. Well, Friday morning I call as I didn’t get a tracking number, only to find out they were too busy and didn’t have a chance to get the part out. Long story short, I take a 4-hour, 244-mile drive to get the timing belt cover so I can finish the job (this was the closest dealer with the cover).

Overall, they didn’t the order all of the parts, I was overcharged on the entire transaction, they gave me one wrong hose and failed to give me the 4 hose clamps for the two radiator hoses I purchased, even though they sell the hoses WITH the clamps. Then they failed to ship the cover as promised.

Now I have purchased from them before for some nonessential items, mud flaps and cargo mat for the Forester, but every time I have ordered parts, they have screwed them up. Last year I needed an inner tie rod end for my 97, they sent me the wrong one, I guess I should have learned.

Lesson, if you need something you can wait for, go for it. If you have a car torn apart and need M/Y specific parts, forget about it. Again, IMHO.

Yohy, it sounds like you (and the rest of us as well) need to stay far away from these fools. I recomend going through Jason at 1stsubaruparts.com. He is very good and tries very hard to get you exactly the right part every time. more than that, he is fairly fast WRT shipping and stuff. I regularly get my parts within a week (and he is a few states away from me as well), and they are the parts I asked for. First time, every time.

Gnuman,

Roger on the 1st Subaru, I have been dealing with them for years and the only reason to change was this other place was overnight by UPS ground. Lesson learned, incompetence doesn't trump cost, looks like back to 1st Subaru or will give SubaruGenuineParts a go.

Well, I guess I'm going to have to take up for Mr. Anthony Aveni et al at Subarupartsforyou.com as in the past I have made 2 or 3 mail order purchases from them (including the external transmission filter kit for my 92 Legacy AWD wagon) and they've been very cordial and dependable for my parts needs. Perhaps the reason being I didn't use the internet order method but rather picked up the phone and talked to Mr. Aveni himself.

I've also made at least one major purchase (about $800 worth) from Jason at 1st Subaru, that was also first rate service.

i've been tempted to order from subarupartsforyou.com , namely the plug/wire kit and the tweeter upgrade package......the picture for the tweeter upgrade package does not show grill covers, can anybody verify if it indeed comes with it or not? 1stsubaruparts has this kit (only shows for 2000-2004, strangely) but it quotes at over 50dollars more! hellllllllllp

Yohy, it sounds like you (and the rest of us as well) need to stay far away from these fools. I recomend going through Jason at 1stsubaruparts.com. He is very good and tries very hard to get you exactly the right part every time. more than that, he is fairly fast WRT shipping and stuff. I regularly get my parts within a week (and he is a few states away from me as well), and they are the parts I asked for. First time, every time.

Unfortunately, 1st Subaru is no longer run through Auburn Subaru, so Jason is no longer involved with it. If you have Jason's number, he said that he will still try to give the same price breaks and shipping deals he did before. For those who might be curious, 1st Subaru parts is now run out of Renton Subaru (at least I think that's what the guy said last time I ordered from them).

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was surprised by the poor experience of the original poster but it can happen. I was glad to see that subarupartsforyou.com aka Dan Perkins (who happens to be local for me) has some other happy buyers, see link below. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62614&page=2And as for the parts, I went through SUBARUPARTSFORYOU.COM (which is actually run out of the parts dept. of Dan Perkins Subaru in Milford CT). I emailed in a list and drove over to pick it up, just so that I knew exactly what I'd have in my hand for the job. Good guys, very helpful.

Well, I guess I'm going to have to take up for Mr. Anthony Aveni et al at Subarupartsforyou.com as in the past I have made 2 or 3 mail order purchases from them (including the external transmission filter kit for my 92 Legacy AWD wagon) and they've been very cordial and dependable for my parts needs. Perhaps the reason being I didn't use the internet order method but rather picked up the phone and talked to Mr. Aveni himself.

I've also made at least one major purchase (about $800 worth) from Jason at 1st Subaru, that was also first rate service.

Well, I was surprised by the poor experience of the original poster but it can happen. I was glad to see that subarupartsforyou.com aka Dan Perkins (who happens to be local for me) has some other happy buyers, see link below. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62614&page=2And as for the parts, I went through SUBARUPARTSFORYOU.COM (which is actually run out of the parts dept. of Dan Perkins Subaru in Milford CT). I emailed in a list and drove over to pick it up, just so that I knew exactly what I'd have in my hand for the job. Good guys, very helpful.

Just Last week I ordered about $ 400.00 worth of Subaru partsf rom SPFU ; I think perhaps, their service has improved. This was my second order-everything came timely and perfect. I'll post it if I have any problems.

John

Hmm sure like their website better than 1stSubaruparts, might give them a try but call to verify and place my order. 1stSubaruParts has been extremely helpful with my past orders and everything arrived right on time, my only concern is they are on the west coast so it takes awhile to get my order.

• 8 years later...

As long as this old thread has popped up I'll add my piece.

I've been dealing with John and then Anthony since around 1997 and my brother dealt with John or worked with him previous to that. Those guys are super great and almost never make mistakes. But the young guys do. They indeed messed me up in a minor way but it screwed my whole weekend up , etc. not getting a seal which was indeed in stock under a super ceded number. John caught it and gave me an even better deal for the inconvenience.

It's 2014 ????? !!!!