Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Legacy External Transmission Filter

My 90 Legacy has an external transmission oil filter. It was on the

car when I got it. Anyone know where to get a replacement, and

possibly have a part number. I haven't looked at it too close. I

don't know if it spins off like the engine oil filter or is replaced

like the fuel filter. I just want to flush as much transmission

fluid as I can and install a new filter.

Thanks

Richard1296

That was installed on the 1990 as part of a recall. It's supposed to last the lifetime of the vehicle. Service was still required on the internal filter in the tranny sump. As far as I remember, it was a Subaru only part. That was years ago however, so you might find it online.

Not good...I doubt SOA considered the car would still

be in service with 185,000 miles. After 16 years I'd

think it's time to change it.

Richard1296

subaru does have it, cost of $60. I still have to buy one myself. they can order it still. as of june anyway. $60 was jobbers cost!

Well, I tried to find one and I guess that I will have to eat my words. As others have said, it sounds like an SOA-only part, as no one else even knows of its existance. Might go with the cheesy aftermarket tranny fluid filter for $25...

subaru does have it, cost of $60. I still have to buy one myself. they can order it still. as of june anyway. $60 was jobbers cost!

Somebody is doing a SERIOUS yank of your chain, dude! Last November or so I replaced the transmission filter on my 92 Legacy AWD wagon--yes, the recall fix one that fits in a clamping bracket similar to the one that holds the fuel filter---and is located on the drivers side inner fender wall below the battery and next to the drivers side valve cover. I couldn't buy just the filter, I had to purchase the entire recall kit that consisted of the filter, the bracket, bolts for the bracket to the car, 4 new clamps (the good OEM subaru clamps) and two pieces of rubber hose........all for less than $16 (Sixteen Dollars) or so from Subarupartsforyou.com up in the Northeast USA.

Update: OK, today I found the invoice dated November of '04 when I bought the (external) transmission filter kit for my 92 Legacy AWD automatic wagon. The part number is:

31099AA091

and it was a whopping $11 (eleven dollars) from the fine friendly folks at Dan Perkins Subaru aka subarupartsforyou.com mail ordered all the way from Milford CT. Call and ask for Anthony.

[...]Update: OK, today I found the invoice dated November of '04 when I bought the (external) transmission filter kit for my 92 Legacy AWD automatic wagon. The part number is:

31099AA091

Various online dealers using Trademotion for pricing show that part number as listing (MSRP) for $9.38. Assuming that's correct, it might be best to get it from a local Subaru dealer, even if you have to pay sales tax; shipping/handling charges would probably make most of the online folks much more expensive (they seem to charge about $9 for s/h), even if they discount the part itself somewhat.

The filter by itself (not the entire kit) may be quite a bit more expensive. Perhaps due to the kit being used under a repair campaign, Subaru made it inexpensive to encourage its use.

• 3 weeks later...
FYI: My local dealer won't sell the retro kit by itself... I need to bring the car in and have them install it. They say it is because it was part of a Recall action.

In that case, buying it through an online dealer, even if the shipping charges are as much as the kit, might be the way to go. As I mentioned previously, several of them show the kit as available for under $10 (plus S/H).

Yup, that is what I am going to have to do... as soon as I finish putting the valve-body back in.

Thanks for all of the info on this! (BTW, same dealer says that he has no listing for a replacement filter. But then, I have never been impressed with this Parts Department.)

If your car does not have the filter on, then the dealer is obligated to install free of charge because it is a recall item. If they're wanting to charge you for a recall item, I'd tell them to pound sand.

If you already have the filter kit installed, and you tell them that you just want to replace the filter....I don't see why they wouldn't sell you the kit. If not, as everyone mentioned, just buy it online. The total cost with shipping would still probalby be cheaper due to local dealer markups.

or if it does, remove it if those #^$&*^#&^$'s wont' sell you the kit.
They might wonder what the screwholes are doing in exactly the right place. :rolleyes:

Slightly askance of topic: Anybody have any thoughts about using a standard oil filter on a remote-filter assembly as a tranny filter?

• 3 weeks later...
If your car does not have the filter on, then the dealer is obligated to install free of charge because it is a recall item. If they're wanting to charge you for a recall item, I'd tell them to pound sand.

If you already have the filter kit installed, and you tell them that you just want to replace the filter....I don't see why they wouldn't sell you the kit. If not, as everyone mentioned, just buy it online. The total cost with shipping would still probalby be cheaper due to local dealer markups.

Is this true for a 16 yr old Legacy wagon? My Dad just gave me his and am just learning about Subies. I want to see if I have it, where is this filter located?

thx

It should be....whether they'll give you any grief or not is yet to be seen.

Here's a pic of the location of the filter

transfilter.jpg

Excellent pic! Thanx!

Looks like I have the filter installed. My ATF looks good. My dad kept it maybe too full, but the fluid looks and smells fine.